Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Predator-Prey Nebula in Camelopardalis - 3 panels

gorann

This has now become a three-panel mosaic of Integrated Flux Nebulosity (IFN) a bit outside the area defined by Mandel-Wilson as MW5 (Fish Hook Nebula). I found it surfing on Aladin Sky Atlas (DSS data) but it is very weak there, not revealing much colour or structure.

The IFN is very faint so one needs a dark site to image it and a light bucket like the RASA8 and a good low noise camera. Then the data still have to be stretched a lot so stars suffer a bit (with fuzzy halos) but I still find them acceptable. I captured it during two nights with two RASA8.

I have not found any other images of these structures. At least my fantacy gets carried away when I look at the image. I just had a suggeston when I posted it on SGL to call the lower right nebula The Stag Beetle Nebula, so I immedeately adopted that. In the three-panel mosaic it can now been seen to chase a scared prey expelling vapour from his nose. So the whole thing could be The Predator-Prey nebula. I also think I can see an elephant face centrally in the image.

I captured it during two nights (10-14 April) with two RASA8, each taking one panel. Cameras: ASI2600MC (gain 100, no filter). Mounts: iOptron CEM70 and Mesu200. Totally 144 x 5 min, so 12 hours. Processed in PI and PS.

2021041-14 IFN nearFishHook Pan1-3 PS6smallSign.jpg

Skärmavbild 2021-04-14 kl. 17.30.22.png

Edited by gorann
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, clarkpm4242 said:

The names give form/shape to an excellent image  :)

I just need to learn how to process the 'colour signal'...

...cheers Paul

Thanks Paul, I think it is built into us by evolution seing shapes in the unknown.