NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Amazing Sun in Ha today!!

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

Had my first ever look at the Sun in Ha yesterday. Saw a few proms and great surface detail. We’ve had snow, hail and rain today though. Think I’m going to Love Ha observing though!

Good stuff - welcome to the world of hydrogen alpha. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Highburymark said:

Good stuff - welcome to the world of hydrogen alpha. 

Thank you! Got 5 mins of clear skies where I could use the little Daystar SS60 this afternoon. Really impressed with the views. I could see multiple proms including the detached ones. There were two detached areas that I noticed. There seemed to be a lot more surface granulation visible compared to white light observing. Lots to learn but I’m off to a good start :) 

3 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Had my first ever look at the Sun in Ha yesterday. Saw a few proms and great surface detail. We’ve had snow, hail and rain today though. Think I’m going to Love Ha observing though!

It does become rather addictive.  Not only is it the most dynamic object you can observe. 

Its available every day of the year (subject to weather of course, and assuming you don't live live at the N or S pole), its a daytime activity so it's safer and generally warmer, and you can participate without worrying about light pollution.

I can't think of anything not to like 😊.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thank you! Got 5 mins of clear skies where I could use the little Daystar SS60 this afternoon. Really impressed with the views. I could see multiple proms including the detached ones. There were two detached areas that I noticed. There seemed to be a lot more surface granulation visible compared to white light observing. Lots to learn but I’m off to a good start :) 

Two books that will really set you are on the way  are:

How to observe the sun safely 2nd edition by Lee Macdonald.

Observing the sun - a pocket field guide by Jamey L Jenkins.

They both contain lots of essential and useful information and lots of practical observing information.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, paulastro said:

They both contain lots of essential and useful information and lots of practical observing information.

That’s great! Thanks Paul. I’ll definitely look those up :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paulastro said:

Agree Paul. These are two of the best currently available books. There’s also a new book coming out from a French solar expert who tends to post on Solarchat which looks really excellent - English version should be available in the next couple of months.

53 minutes ago, Merlin said:

It’s better if contributors to the thread say what kind of ‘scope they are using. Only one contributor has done this.

I use either Solarscope SF70mm double stack filters or Quark Chromosphere with 85mm and 100mm fracs. One of the great things about solar though is you can see all the main features with a small entry level scope, as long as the etalon’s decent.

It’s better if contributors to the thread say what kind of ‘scope they are using. Only one contributor has done this. Thanks. Stating the instruments used assists beginners and upgraders to know what to expect from a particular solar ‘scope.

39 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Agree Paul. These are two of the best currently available books. There’s also a new book coming out from a French solar expert who tends to post on Solarchat which looks really excellent - English version should be available in the next couple of months.

I use either Solarscope SF70mm double stack filters or Quark Chromosphere with 85mm and 100mm fracs. One of the great things about solar though is you can see all the main features with a small entry level scope, as long as the etalon’s decent.

On 11/04/2021 at 19:45, paulastro said:

There's also the Solar Astronomy Handbook published by Willmann-Bell which is pretty comprehensive and well worth having. 

• Thanks 1