SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Beware... of shiny screws!

TakMan

Still sorting the (new to me), Atik 16200 imaging train as I try to shift from my trusty SBIG 8300, Mac to PC for mount control/capture and from a separate guide scope to the Atik OAG....

The camera needs to go back to Atik (awaiting the email from Vince) as there is dust inside the chamber, so this is a good time to get everything checked - ready for the autumn season.

After some imaging/testing time at the rear of Leo in the last week, I noticed on my flat frames a strange half moon light - by the dust mote (that was over-correcting the lights).

456155166_Screenshot2021-04-10at17_53_55.png.4419dcb4d55cb64c20716ba1f702abb9.png

Eventually I worked out it was the screws surrounding the sensor cover window (or the 3x rounded cap screws that attach the EFW3), bouncing the light onto the back of the filter (Baader L in this example) and I suppose onto the cover window and onto the sensor. To test the theory, I opened the imaging train up and added a Sharpie pen to them. Couldn't get into the cross-heads with the pen, but with re-testing, the reflection had gone! Perhaps it would never be an issue with the actual light frames, but you never know with a bright star in the frame of a future target...?

So today, after shifting slightly outwards the OAG stalk, I addressed the stainless steel screws 'properly', by (again), taking everything apart and lightly painting a cover of matt black acrylic paint over them and into the x-heads (a bit of overspill), nothing too heavy-handed as I didn't want to glue the things in with paint! The finished effect is duller than the pic here and the reflection has gone after another round of testing.

IMG_9258.thumb.JPG.982cf2999968062ec2e9c99394b0ab92.JPG

Always something to catch us out, hey!? Why Atik can't use black screws is another matter.....

Perhaps this may help others out at some stage....

Damian

Edited by TakMan
  • Like 6

• 9 months later...