Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Widefield Polaris IFN

AbsolutelyN

This is one of my favourite areas of the night sky and first attempt at it with a very wide field. Quite amazed that I've captured so much IFN as when looking through the files this morning I found I'd lost about half the intended 6 hour exposure time to clouds. So this is just 3.6 hours at f/2 with the Sigma 105mm 1.4. Keep having trouble with coma with this lens but I'm finding that I can still manage it with reasonable results in post processing. 

3.7 hours with 2600MC and Sigma Art 105 @ f/2. I'm using a Astromechanics adapter for focus which plays really well with SGP but have had a number of issues. First was power which comes from USB cable, fixed with powered hub. Second is inability to get focus with spacers or about  0.5 to 1mm.  The lens easily reaches focus manually but seems to hit a hard stop before it reaches focus via software. So ended up without spacer which had awful coma but hopefully controlled in post. 

Full high res image on Astrobin:
https://www.astrobin.com/kuibk4/?nc=user

Polaris_IFN_V_SMALL.thumb.jpg.f14a80a73ff8c88c56c9b02e04d94c66.jpg

Edited by AbsolutelyN
  • Like 14

To my eyes the beauty is in the image as a whole and I'm not going to go pixel peeping at individual stars.

This is an amazing and thought provoking image - the more you look the more you see - the more you see the more you think and wonder.

Brilliant.

Adrian

• Like 3

Great image Tristan.  As Adrian mentioned, this is one of those just enjoyed where you can view the whole (or most of) the image on the screen (as I'm usually all about enjoying the 1:1 viewing 😉)

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 1