Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mandel-Wilson 3: Northern Volcano Nebula - more data

gorann

A few day ago I posted a rather noisy version of this object as the first light of my second RASA 8. Stars were also suffering as I have not got the sensor distance and alignment tuned in yet (still working on it). Two nights ago I managed to catch an additional 4.7 hours using my better tuned first RASA 8, so now I have 8.2 hours, which is quite resonable at f/2 and it made quite a difference. More dust and deeper colours.

Earlier in March I imaged the central part of the Volcano Nebula near M81 and M82. After that I also imaged and posted a southernmost part of this area of Integrated Flux Nebulosity (IFN). The part shown here is to the north and it contains plenty of both reddish and gray IFN, similar to the IFN in the southernmost part of the Volcano Nebula.

Interestingly, also like in the previous image the reddish IFN does not show as much structure as the grayish IFN, which is quite filamentous. Obviously they are two different things.

I get the impression that some kind of interstellar wind is blowing from left to right in the image and the left side of the nebula looks to be hitting against some wave of pressure. A few NGC galaxies and many others can be seen in the image. All small since this is 400 mm focal length.

Facts: Imaged 17 and 21 March with RASA 8 and ASI2600MC (gain 100), 123 x 4 min.

EDIT: Just tried a script new to me in PI: EZ Star Reduction. Had an amazing effect and I will have to go through several of my images to see what it can do to them. So now this post first show the EZ treated image and then the original one.

951070882_20210320IFNnearNGC2810RASAPS46smallSign.thumb.jpg.5fb168bfcc0eb8f024fceadda4ee45f3.jpg

20210320 IFNnearNGC2810 RASA PS45smallSign.jpg

Skärmavbild 2021-03-22 kl. 11.27.51.png

_20210320_IFNnearNGC2810_RASA_PS45smallSign_Annotated.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 15

Great capture and processing as always.  It does look like some form of 'Cosmic wind' could be  shaping the nebulosity in this  region but on such a scale!

Did you use PI's annotation script to identify the galaxies? I'm looking for something that will identify tiny galaxies picked up when imaging at 1050mm FL with a 0.1 degree FOV...

1 hour ago, tomato said:

Great capture and processing as always.  It does look like some form of 'Cosmic wind' could be  shaping the nebulosity in this  region but on such a scale!

Did you use PI's annotation script to identify the galaxies? I'm looking for something that will identify tiny galaxies picked up when imaging at 1050mm FL with a 0.1 degree FOV...

Thanks Steve!

Great that you also see the cosmic wind! And as you say it must be on a large scle since IFN is supposed to be at the outer edge of our galaxy, so quite far away, and I would get in several moons in my FOV (3.4 x 2.6 °).

Yes, the second annotation is made using PI on my computer (the first is from my Astrobin post). In PI you can chose what catalogues to annotate to - you can even get many of the stars, but that would have become a mess.

19 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Very nicely framed.

Thanks! Yes, part planning and part luck since the IFN is hardly visible on Aladin sky atlas (POSS2) it is not always clear what I will find.