Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need some help on Celestron Advanced GT

pedromreis

Hi All

About to buy a Celestron Advanced GT used, in bad shape, for restoring.

It has no hand controller.

So, my questions:

- The seller says the motors are "stuck", where can I find a source for that motors?

- Is it possible to control it with a computer without the hand controller? How?

Thanks in advance

Pedro

46 minutes ago, pedromreis said:

Hi All

About to buy a Celestron Advanced GT used, in bad shape, for restoring.

It has no hand controller.

So, my questions:

- The seller says the motors are "stuck", where can I find a source for that motors?

- Is it possible to control it with a computer without the hand controller? How?

Thanks in advance

Pedro

I've read that the Skyportal would work with the advanced GT (although not officially a supported mount) if you connect it to the hand controller port - but it would be cheaper to buy a replacement controller.

• Thanks 1

On 18/03/2021 at 22:52, Shimrod said:

I've read that the Skyportal would work with the advanced GT (although not officially a supported mount) if you connect it to the hand controller port - but it would be cheaper to buy a replacement controller.

I had the Skyportal wifi dongle, used with  CG5-ASGT but  I sold it  a few months back. Did work and I'm pretty sure it was supported when I  bought it otherwise I wouldn't have

I  have the skywatcher EQ6-R now and I have to  say I prefer skywatcher

One thing I dislike about the CG5 is the noise. I turned my CG5 into a frankenstein before I  bought the EQ6. You will find the plastic motor housings amplify the  motor noise like a soundbox so I  took them off 😉 

(I was going to make a free hanging housing)

3 hours ago, Starflyer said:

They weren't great mounts when they were in new condition, are you sure you want to take on a challenging one?

Well, with the 2" tripod is going to cost me around 100£. If nothing else, I keep the tripod and I will have fun taking it apart. Even if the goto is non functional I can use it for observing...

What are the biggest problems with it and are they fixable by a skilled mechanic engineer?

thanks for your advice.