NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY8L one shot v Altair astro Hypercam 183M V2 Mono Camera

Welcome to SGL.

Not sure there is really an answer to this one - how long is a piece of string type question. One is a CCD with large pixels and is a OSC. The other is a CMOS with small pixels and mono. Pretty well opposite ends of the spectrum.

I would suggest if you can give a bit more info on what scope, mount and intended targets this would help. Then the SGL collective intelligence will be able to give you some good considered answers.

From the point of view of pixel scale the 183 would be more suitable. The QHY8L has large pixels and is more suitable for long FL.

There is obviously a discussion over colour vs mono - have a look on the forum you will find plenty of debate. I generally shoot mono - but I can see the attraction of colour, especially if imaging opportunities are limited. Many people also find colour processing easier.

WRT CCD vs CMOS I am far from an expert. However, the benefits of CCD over CMOS are certainly reducing and both will give good results. However, within your budget there are probably more option with CMOS.

I would recommend having a look at astronomy.tools to look at the pixel scales for different cameras and scopes.

Do you use a filter wheel or photo shop to add colour. I want something easy to use and will get more images in a short time as we are in the UK and the  time  scale  needed with some cameras would require days if not weeks probably months to get an image.

I believe the Atik has large pixels too and a relatively small sensor. However, it is a well proven camera - albeit a little dated.

Have you considered a second hand DSLR? You can pick up a pretty good camera for around £200 plus a bit more for modifying for astro work. For any mono camera you will need a filter wheel and filters which will add cost. However, it does give the option of narrowband imaging. Having said this, some of the current dual and triple band filters will allow good imaging with colour cameras.

If the DSLR route is not for you, I would wait an get a suitable second hand camera when it arrives. It is coming up to the summer and there will be astro gear being sold off. With luck you will grab a bargain.

Personally, with your budget I would probably look at the DSLR option. As well as the camera you will need a field flattener and other bits and pieces. For £500 you could get the camera and a guide camera and a flattener. If you get serious you can always sell the camera for similar cost to what you spent and buy an astro specific camera

It's up to you, but before you spend your money you should try first with your current camera and see how you get on. A standard DSLR can image galaxies and brighter DSO's. The mount is also the most important piece of kit. No point having a super duper camera if it's imaging wobbly stars!

If you already have the camera's try using one of these first. Even with lots of shorter exposures you can get some great shots. You will need a good mount - probably the most important factor as stated above. I do not know your mount, but it will need to be stable and have good tracking. I assume it is similar to and HEQ5 so will be fine for widefield imaging. It sounds like you have most of the kit you need to get some good images.

37 minutes ago, The Barber said:

I already have a canon d40 and d1000 but don't these need long exposure to get a good image therefore needing a guide scope 

You'll need long exposures (multiple minutes) for most things...I'd be careful of investing in a dedicated camera and filters whilst not being able to guide etc. 

Good luck.

Just remember AP is very frustrating. 2 steps forward 1 step back. Keep at it and you will get the WOW moments. I have only been imaging for about a year (actually I only got my first scope in January last year). Don't expect miracles but the results will come with some persistence.

This is mine from a few weeks ago so it shows what can be done from 'nothing'.

AP3a.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

Good luck.

Just remember AP is very frustrating. 2 steps forward 1 step back. Keep at it and you will get the WOW moments. I have only been imaging for about a year (actually I only got my first scope in January last year). Don't expect miracles but the results will come with some persistence.

This is mine from a few weeks ago so it shows what can be done from 'nothing'.

AP3a.jpg

That's a really nice M51!

14 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Altair Astro...!! The one you were asking about ...👍🏼

46 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

QHY all the way, steer clear of the AA cameras...👍🏼

AA camer

14 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Altair Astro...!! The one you were asking about ...👍🏼

Really they're that bad