NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Does anyone know the thread that connects the focuser to the scope on an Equinox ED80

The focuser on my Equinox ED80 seems to have failed. To be specific the fine focus knob just rotates without doing anything. Coarse focus seems OK.

I can get a replacement Moonlite that is certified to fit (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/moonlite-focusers/moonlite-cf-crayford-focuser-for-refractors.html), but it is quite a price. I wondered if anyone knows the thread size for the focuser to scope tube connection so that I could search other manufacturers. It's a nice scope and although I am looking at an upgrade, I would prefer that it did not become a doorstop. I could continue to use it if I replaced the Sesto Senso focuser I am using at the moment with a Lakeside or similar, but would still be worrying that something was terminally wrong.

Is it just a tension screw loose or tight , can it be repaired ?

Try placing an Ad in the wanted section, someone may reply

Edited by Kev M
  • Like 1

Hmmm, a little surprised by the reference to threaded connections with the ED80.

I have three Skywatcher ED80 scopes and each has a 96mm internal fitment to the OTA and three M4 screws holding the focuser.

On 14/03/2021 at 22:52, Merlin66 said:

Hmmm, a little surprised by the reference to threaded connections with the ED80.

I have three Skywatcher ED80 scopes and each has a 96mm internal fitment to the OTA and three M4 screws holding the focuser.

It's the Equinox ED80. Definitely a threaded connection.

On 14/03/2021 at 11:01, Kev M said:

Is it just a tension screw loose or tight , can it be repaired ?

Try placing an Ad in the wanted section, someone may reply

It's slightly more complicated. That's what I thought was the problem originally, but I could not find a position where my Sesto Senso focuser would work. Then I discovered that the fine focus shaft (which the Sesto Senso connects to) was slipping like mad. The coarse focus still seems to work OK, but not the fine focus. The planetary gear is not working properly. I think it might be fixable by stripping it down and making small adjustments to the nuts holding the whole thing together. But then again, maybe not. Hence the question.