Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TAKA EM11 EXPERT, I NEED YOU

Fedele

Hello everybody. I found a well maintained EM11 Temma2. The only problem that the person who sells it tells me is that the mount (a common fact the Takahashi said), he doesn't like to do large GOTO movements.
In fact, if you do a very large goto, it easily burns the fuse present in the power cable with cigarette lighter socket for the battery. You can do it tells me short goto. Line up to the pole, line up with one star skysafari and move to a nearby object. if you need to go a long way, unplug the clutches and line up again with ONE STAR next to the new object and then goto for it.
Some questions to understand if I am making the right purchase:
1) is true that all the Temma 2 have this problem?
2) is it a solvable problem? With what?
3) do these mounts only have a cigarette lighter socket? do not have a power supply for a normal wall socket at home?
4) can temma 2 be upgraded to a Temma 3 kit?

thank you

That's strange. If he's told you its a common problem, its the first I've heard of it.  If SGL can't shed any light on the issue, you might try Cloudy Nights where there's a massive Tak following. They will almost certainly be able to advise you.

Never heard of such a problem - and I have EM400 & EM200.....Temma 2 controlled. Sounds to me like something wrong with the mount.  

The mounts are 12V supply but you can use wall socket as long as you have appropriate adapter giving the mount the 12V.  If it has a proper power supply then the 1st problem (large GoTo) should not present itself.

Hi Fedele,

I used an EM200 Temma 2 for quite a few years and had no problems with slews. I also have a genuine power Takahashi power cable and it may have had a fuse in the cig socket but I never looked ( I have to say though that it's the cheapest piece of wiring I've ever seen ) As above, I've not heard of any problems with blowing fuses on any Temma control.

The start pulse on the EM11 was almost 2 amps so that may be the problem you're being told about.

The Temma 3 has a new board and due to the fact that the motors on the Temma 3 can use 24v, I doubt it's a straight swap as I imagine the motors would be different.

If you do go ahead with the EM11 then check out Chuck's web page for software - https://ccdastro.net/temma.html  It's Ascom and is no longer updated but it works with Temma 2 and was the best I tried.

Dave.

Edited by davew