Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help me spend some money - what long FL scope?

I am struggling a bit to decide what long FL scope to try next.  I spotted a 127mm f12 frac on eBay which coincidentally has been mention on here late last year and having enquired a bit about it @John kindly linked to a couple of reviews, one of which was by Neil English and he compared to a similar focal length newt.  Much of what he said about size and usability makes a lot of sense but I have a bit of frac fever at the moment so don't know whether a long FL frac is an itch worth scratching. 

That said a sparkly mirror scope is perhaps a worth exploring.  However I have an older Meade 10" SCT but for some reason it just doesn't quite do it for me.  It's a fabulous moon cannon but much beyond that I haven't fallen in love with it.  Can't put my finger on what it is but I just find it cumbersome to use, it dews up the moment the temperature drops below 30c, it's heavy and I just don't like it as much as I should.  I bought it secondhand for a fair price and wanted so much to love it however it just annoys me so doesn't get used.  I could perhaps buy some dew heaters for it and give it some more time but I am not convinced it is the way to go.

I have an SW 150P Newt as well  which is a great grab and go scope and has given me many of my astronomy firsts.  I paid £50 for it and it's not going anywhere as it's fun to use.  But, it's the short tube version so only 750mm and that is dangerously close to my current frac which is a TMB 105/650.  I don't care what Neil or anyone else says on the subject - if I am at home then that is what I use as it blows the Meade and the SW out of the water visually and for AP there is no contest.  But at 650mm - I just hanker after something with a bit more reach.

So, my question - what to go for?  A big frac - 120mm+ f10+, try another SCT or Newt and if so which one or something else entirely?  Over to you guys.  Will mainly be used for visual - bit of everything really but with a focus on double stars, lunar and planetary but may strap a camera to it too.  The other factor for me to consider is portability and I know this is where a long frac loses out.  I have use of a nice dark site once restrictions are lifted but it is 30 miles away.  I have transport though and I can drive right up to where I set up so a bit of lifting isn't an issue.

Budget - hmm.  I'd like to stay under £1k if possible but if there were a compelling reason to go to £1500 I would...

Or you could look at this for around 500 quidish? it's made by the same guys as the scope above (oh and my 4 inch fl7). Although it has FPl 51 glass (still much better than an achro)the extra length will remove any CA left, which won't be very much to start with:  https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11262_TS-Optics-102-mm-f-11-ED-Refractor-with-2-5--RAP-Focuser.html

Most of the other scopes you are going to come across as refractors unless they are an achro tend to be fl6.5 to fl7.5. The one I have shown you in an exception, an ED at fl11 is going to have no CA at all. Any longer and you are in Mak country and with a field of view to match. 

Edited by Carl Au

28 minutes ago, John said:

What mount are you intending to use ?

One thing about largish, long scopes is that they need pretty strong and capable mounts to allow them to perform.

I have an EQ AZ6GT so can carry a reasonable load...

• Like 2