Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Field Flattener and back focus distance question

Hi folks, 

I wonder what happens if one can not reach the ideal back focus distance with a field flattener? 

For instance, my QHY8L has 20.1mm back focus, but the Evoguide 50ED FF requires 17.5mm  

then, how the images would look like? those 3mm of the sensor being too close to the FF would it 

make it not possible to focus? or will focus but wouldn't correct the whole field?  

Withouth the FF  I can reach focus but maybe about 50% of the frame (or more? ) is distorted, obviously

So, what's the theory behind it? Not reaching the ideal backfocus makes the whole field distorted or

just can not correct a certain % ? 

Sorry if that is a too dumb question ^^;  

32 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

I'm aware of this. I followed the instructions for the Hotech ff on my Borg. Just wondered the effect. In the site they show those graphs, and according to it would distort all the field ?  

Guess a good way to test it would be modifying the distance in my Hotech+borg combination to see the effect.   But weather is bad enough for long to waste next clear night on this 🤣🤣 

Thanks for your answer anyway :)

• 1 month later...
On 02/05/2021 at 23:11, happy-kat said:

There's more back focus available with the starizona evoguide field flattener I think.

Yes, but the cost is about twice as the sw one, and also there's no availability so far for starizona one..