NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Darth Vader constellation? Indulge me...

wulfrun

I've noticed a couple of times when looking near Alderbaran, about three degrees away there's a line from theta-2 Tau to 75-Tau and another from 80-Tau to 85-Tau plus HIP 21029 and HIP21053. When viewed in my scopes, i.e upside-down, I keep thinking Darth Vader's mask. I can't seem to un-see it now! Anyone agree?

Edited by wulfrun
clarity

I think that'll be called an asterism. Somehow I don't think the IAU will be in too much of a hurry to add that as an 89th

Now if you could find a Trek-inspired reference; say, The Klingon's Forehead it'll probably be official faster than you can say "beam me up Scotty" 😃

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, reezeh said:

I think that'll be called an asterism. Somehow I don't think the IAU will be in too much of a hurry to add that as an 89th

Now if you could find a Trek-inspired reference; say, The Klingon's Forehead it'll probably be official faster than you can say "beam me up Scotty" 😃

Indeed, asterism would be a better title. Twas only light-hearted, I don't expect much IAU interest! I wonder what names we'd have if we started over, from scratch.

2 minutes ago, wulfrun said:

Indeed, asterism would be a better title. Twas only light-hearted, I don't expect much IAU interest! I wonder what names we'd have if we started over, from scratch.

Probably ones like that and others that'll probably be moderated or get me a ban for even mentioning them 😂

• 1 month later...
On 28/02/2021 at 10:33, Pixies said:

I will indulge you - as no one else has yet.

I think I see what you mean from SkySafari as I haven't been able to see it in the flesh since your post. Is it this chap?

image.png.3c1d891960c698a1a6e7746e61705b4d.pngimage.png.6ac7ee92c337a09f55bd2ae6536f6053.png

From now on every time I see this bit of Taurus instead of thinking about the wonders of the universe I will instead be reminded of Spaceballs!