February 13, 2021: Yet more data added to the Rosette

Managed to grab another 5 hours of data on the Rosette, and added these to the 7h 21 m previous data. Improvements are subtle, but certainly the S/N gradually improves.

Rosette-44461.0s-SC_1_3.0_none-x_1.0_LZ3-NS-full-exp-add-sc_BWMV_nor-AAD-RE-MBB10-St.thumb.jpg.36821e688c2b7dea2e24caf0aa97cf0b.jpg

Didn't do any noise reduction, and I might want to crop the results a bit , or get some more data, should the skies clear again. Star colours are off, due to the use of an Optolong L-eXtreme filter, so I might want to add some data without

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Star colours are off

Very nice Michael - I love the Rosette.

Not sure about the star colours but on my MacBook screen there is a definite hint of green in the image. I ran it through SCNR in PI and to me it looked better and the stars too! Hope you don't mind.

Adrian

Rosette-aa-scnr.tif

12 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Very nice Michael - I love the Rosette.

Not sure about the star colours but on my MacBook screen there is a definite hint of green in the image. I ran it through SCNR in PI and to me it looked better and the stars too! Hope you don't mind.

Adrian

Rosette-aa-scnr.tif 110.03 MB · 1 download

I will give the colours a tweak tomorrow. Now stacking M78 data. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterCPC said:

Lovely image Michael. Interested in your comment about the L-extreme as I have one but have not had the opportunity to use it yet.

It is a very useful filter, and yield very dark backgrounds, even from my suburban garden. The only issue is the odd star colours (and some difficulty focusing on stars due to the low light levels). Any reflection component in a nebula is gone, as well

34 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

It is a very useful filter, and yield very dark backgrounds, even from my suburban garden. The only issue is the odd star colours (and some difficulty focusing on stars due to the low light levels). Any reflection component in a nebula is gone, as well

Thanks Michael. I would only be using it when the Moon is a problem. I am in Bortle 4 supposedly and I find my IDAS D2 is fine when shooting a low target, high target and no filter required.

4 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

@michael.h.f.wilkinson

Out of interest Michael - how much do you have to increase the exposure when using the L-extreme.

I don't extend the exposure time for my subs. If my tracking orguiding was better, I suppose I could extend them a lot.