NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone use there Evoguide 50ed as an imaging scope?

Hi all,

I have read some previous comments on here that some use there 50ed not only as a guide scope but also as an (I assume) imaging scope.

Mine is currently used for guiding coupled with a 120mm mini on a SW 150PDS and soon to arrive a 533mc pro as my main imaging camera.  However for a much wider fov I would like to consider using the 50ed in the future if possible.

Interested to know what others do interms of things like - a guidescope for the 50ed 'guidescope'? This of course if I understood the posts I have read correctly from others (perhaps they meant they use there 50ed as a grab and go for visual as opposed to imaging) :)

Clear skies!

Jon

Edited by Jonny_H
  • Like 1

I've played with the 50ED as a widefield imaging scope & its pretty good for my purposes.  You will definitely need a flattener - Skywatcher & Starizona both do one, SW is cheaper & more available, but only works w unto 17.5mm back focus (I think) - ie its fine for ZWO cameras but not for DSLRs.

When I used it properly last, I had some walking noise, so need to dither - hence a need for guiding for the 50ED for which I'm going to use a ZWO Miniguide scope, and if that works w my main imaging refractor too, then I'll just leave the 50ED as a widefield imaging set up in its rings & no longer use it as a guidescope at all.

For the rings & mounting, Astrokraken is great - Philippe has a special set-up for 50EDs w flattener & ZWO cameras - w a finder shoe on top.  He will also do a Bahtinov mask for the 50ED which makes focusing a doddle.

Enjoy!

Vin

• Like 1

I've been using it as an imaging scope for a little while now. I haven't actually tried guiding it yet - I've found l can get 2 - 3 min subs out of it as long as polar alignment is half decent. 

To take full advantage of the wide FOV, you will need the flattener though, and this gives you backfocus of 17.5mm, which should be perfect for your 533

23 hours ago, vineyard said:

For the rings & mounting, Astrokraken is great - Philippe has a special set-up for 50EDs w flattener & ZWO cameras - w a finder shoe on top.  He will also do a Bahtinov mask for the 50ED which makes focusing a doddle.

Had a look at the Astrokraken site and it does look to be nicely made.  I have emailed Philippe as I have a couple of questions.

• 6 months later...
9 minutes ago, Bernard Murdoch said:

Single 120 sec frame, Evoguide + ED50 flattener, Zwo 294 MC Pro

9CA22D75-9E39-4ECA-9D67-0E408AA55C7A.png

Nice! You should definitely post a stacked version w more data.  Its a great little setup isn't it, & the flattener really does its job.

21 hours ago, vineyard said:

21 hours ago, vineyard said:

Nice! You should definitely post a stacked version w more data.  Its a great little setup isn't it, & the flattener really does its job.

Thanks !

DSS stack of 60 120 sec exposures, stretched in Photoshop.

E76ECA4C-C7FB-477D-9DD3-C7E8DF77F075.jpeg

Edited by Bernard Murdoch
  • Like 3

On 14/02/2021 at 19:29, vineyard said:

I've played with the 50ED as a widefield imaging scope & its pretty good for my purposes.  You will definitely need a flattener - Skywatcher & Starizona both do one, SW is cheaper & more available, but only works w unto 17.5mm back focus (I think) - ie its fine for ZWO cameras but not for DSLRs.

When I used it properly last, I had some walking noise, so need to dither - hence a need for guiding for the 50ED for which I'm going to use a ZWO Miniguide scope, and if that works w my main imaging refractor too, then I'll just leave the 50ED as a widefield imaging set up in its rings & no longer use it as a guidescope at all.

Enjoy!

Vin

If you are using apt or sharp cap for example, you can use ascom dithering (pulse dithering not st4 cable) without needing any guidescope. Works great for short focal length scopes and might deal with your walking noise for your setup as is. 

• Like 1

Thanks @GalaxyGael -  I didn't realise you could dither without a guidescope.  That could be v handy.  I use EKOS/INDI so will read up on that.

I've also switched to APP rather than DSS & have noticed that the processing of the same lights is much better in APP (less weird artefacts).