SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which nebulas?

Kon

1 minute ago, Deadlake said:

I get surprised thats classified as Bortle 4. family live near Brecon Beacons and thats Bortle 3, say > 21.5 SQM

i am near swindon area so maybe that's why? it is one my east view that has some light pollution low at the horizon.

1 minute ago, scarp15 said:

Nebula associated around S (15) Mon within the Christmas Tree cluster is detectable with moderate sized aperture within dark transparent sky. The larger portion of nebula associated around HD 47887 is a more difficult observation and profiles the Cone. Some more details here. https://observing.skyhound.com/archives/jan/NGC_2264.html

Thanks! The area resembled the pic in the link, which i will read tonight. Sorry if i used the wrong name  for it. i will go back to it next time and try make a sketch to compare to the link.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deadlake said:

What bred of dog have you got?

I have a working line German Shepherd, 7 months old and about 80 pounds now. Hes very energetic and smart- we just got back and hes outside with the wife atm. Sure glad the teething has stopped! (almost).

4 hours ago, Deadlake said:

The Bortle scale is a little losely defined, so I can see why you don't find it precise. A large range of SQM is covered each scale in the Bortle system.

Hence the interest in NV, I'd like to see Nebulae better, only possible using filters. 

Also I find SQM directional, towards London I don't really look as the sky as effected by light pollution. 

Below is close, but also quite a wide description.

• the zodiacal light is still visible, but does not extend halfway to the zenith at dusk or dawn
  • light pollution domes visible in several directions
  • clouds are illuminated in the directions of the light sources, dark overhead
  • surroundings are clearly visible, even at a distance
  • the Milky Way well above the horizon is still impressive, but lacks detail
  • M33 is a difficult averted vision object, only visible when high in the sky
  • limiting magnitude with 12.5" reflector is 15.5

M33 needs a scope where I live.....

and yet I might not qualify for Bortle 1,- 2 maybe?

Yeah , zodiacal light from your place?

I can see everything not in the trees under 21.9 mag skies...

Once I took my ATV and scope way up a logging road, middle of nowhere. I was observing with the 90mm frac when the sky got bright in one direction. Bright enough to stop me in my tracks from observing. I thought it was light pollution from a town 80 miles north lol! But the glow was in the wrong spot. It was zodiacal light. https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-resources/zodiacal-light-dust-thing-beauty101514/

This event (it was stunning) spurred the purchase of the SQM-L and I went on a mission SQMing the area on logging roads. I did about 100 miles by 100 miles roughly and guess what? All the same, 21.8 as a nice avg. I also did edges of towns etc.

So now I just use the MW appearance for reference but play around with NELM, but not wasting much time on it.

@Deadlake how does the MW look on your best nights?

@Kon same for you?

I'm curious.

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, jetstream said:

@Kon same for you?

I'm curious.

My seeing is pretty good on 'transparent nights'. I can see constellations without any problems. Milky way is 'bright' and i can make the distinction where it starts/ends (I mean edges), and I think that's what pussed me in the end to get the telescope. (I have only been in the hobby for 2 months but very fascinated so far). 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jetstream said:

and yet I might not qualify for Bortle 1,- 2 maybe?

your views must be amazing! I do not think i have noticed zodiac light but i may need to pay more attention.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kon said:

your views must be amazing!

Use the link, find Duluth, MN USA- go straight north to the border, through Voyageurs National park. I'm around here on CDN side, just out side Mine Center.(pop 75 lol!)

Edited by jetstream

22 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Use the link, find Duluth, MN USA- go straight north to the border, through Voyageurs National park. I'm around here on CDN side, just out side Mine Center.(pop 75 lol!)

its black! Mine is darker than i though; just a tiny bit of very very light yellow.

27 minutes ago, jetstream said:

You get the filter ordered? email response?

No reply to my email, but I just ordered the TV OIII from FLO!!! 10 days wait so it will be handy next time the moon disappears. I will have to make a report once i use it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

its black! Mine is darker than i though; just a tiny bit of very very light yellow.

No reply to my email, but I just ordered the TV OIII from FLO!!! 10 days wait so it will be handy next time the moon disappears. I will have to make a report once i use it.

I think you can do very well where you are Kon. But obersving DSO is a skill, that you need to develop. Try the Running Man by Orion to see if you can make out arms head etc. I see the whole figure of the man. Great practise.

Edited by jetstream
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jetstream said:

think you can do very well where you are Kon. But obersving DSO is a skill, that you need to develop. Try the Running Man by Orion to see if you can make out arms head etc. I see the whole figure of the man. Great practise.

I will give it a try tonight. I love DSOs; very challenging but once you find them very rewarding; my 5year old son is asking me which nebulas have I seen when I observe. He loves M42 (obviously) but he was over the moon with Crab and Eskimo nebulas when I showed him a few weeks ago. By the way, the views from your 24" must be out of this world!

• Like 1

Just now, Kon said:

I will give it a try tonight. I love DSOs; very challenging but once you find them very rewarding; my 5year old son is asking me which nebulas have I seen when I observe. He loves M42 (obviously) but he was over the moon with Crab and Eskimo nebulas when I showed him a few weeks ago. By the way, the views from your 24" must be out of this world!

Yes they are. I don't mean to be flippant or whatever but views through any scope are amazing here, including the favourite Heritage130. The 24" does extremely well, but the 15" is my favourite scope.

The Crab is very hard to get detail in, the 24 gives me 4 legs. Focus on the Eskimo try no filter and up the mag as much as "planetary" seeing will allow. You will be rewarded, you have the perfect all round scope btw, IMHO.

Try the Rossette to, looking for a shade edge to start, its pretty big.

The Owl in Big Dipper will show you eyes with the OIII...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jetstream said:

Just make sure your adapter has threads for the filter if its 2"- I'd confirm with FLO.

I opted for the 1.25" due to the cost; if i decide in the future to get different WF EPs then I could always sell it and upgrade to a 2".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jetstream said:

The Crab is very hard to get detail in, the 24 gives me 4 legs. Focus on the Eskimo try no filter and up the mag as much as "planetary" seeing will allow. You will be rewarded, you have the perfect all round scope btw, IMHO.

Try the Rossette to, looking for a shade edge to start, its pretty big.

The Owl in Big Dipper will show you eyes with the OIII...

Yes once the filter is here, i want to revisit these targets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kon said:

I opted for the 1.25" due to the cost; if i decide in the future to get different WF EPs then I could always sell it and upgrade to a 2".

👍

Some serious DSO obsevers us a 1.25" 24mm Panoptic or 24ES 68 as finder EP's in large 20"+ dobs. Like Alvin Huey etc, nothing wrong with 1.25".

@jetstreamthat's the reply i got:

thanks for your email.

With an 8'' Dob OIII or UHC is a matter of taste. At the end you probably end with both filters. My preference would be a UHC, but if you ask others you will likely get OIII as recomendation for a first filter. Our OIII fiters have 12nm, what we found to be the optimum for visual use under similar skies.

Clear skies

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kon said:

@jetstreamthat's the reply i got:

thanks for your email.

With an 8'' Dob OIII or UHC is a matter of taste. At the end you probably end with both filters. My preference would be a UHC, but if you ask others you will likely get OIII as recomendation for a first filter. Our OIII fiters have 12nm, what we found to be the optimum for visual use under similar skies.

Clear skies

Excellent.

2 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Congrats on the TV O-III, as Gerry had mentioned, Ursa Major is gaining prominence and M97 will 'pop' with the addition of the O-III filter in the optical light path.

It sure will :smiley:

Also worth trying to find without a filter so that the nearby galaxy, Messier 108, can be seen in the same, low power, field of view. I love these "2 for the price of 1" observing opportunities :grin:

Image result for messier 97

Edited by John
  • Like 3