NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion Widefield: M42 and the Horse

groberts

After literally months the clouds briefly relented this week over Surrey and I was able to get a couple of hours of Orion.  Mindful of such imaging limitations in the UK and in the absence of a permanent observatory + inspired by others here on SGL, I purchased a Samyang 135 f2 last year but because of the said conditions it's use has been very limited so far.  For the moment I'm using it with a modded Canon 550D, manual focus and no guiding - I was impressed with a few initial Cygnus images last year but this week put it to work on Orion and am blown away by it's capabalities.

First, I really enjoy the widefield approach without resorting to mosaics - which would usually be impractical with imaging condtions here - thus producing interesting context of otherwise favourite targets imaged with a telescope.  However, the quality this lens produces is quite extraordinary.  Even though this was something of a 'quick & dirty' session + processing, looking closer at M42 (see cropped version) the detail and colour achieved by this lens far exceeds my expectations.  I hope to match this with my mono CMOS camera & add guiding later this year but for now this little beauty is definately one of my star astronomy purchases.

Graham

Modded Canon 550D

56 x 120 sec = 1hr 52min

No guiding

Processed - PixInsight + Photoshop + Topaz Deniose AI

Orion_Widefield_2_Final4.png

Orion_Widefield_2_M42x-standard-scale-2_00x-gigapixel5.jpg

Edited by groberts
  • Like 15