Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASIAir Pro - Best connectivity option with SW HEQ5 Pro

Hi all,

As above - I have been slowly but surely building-out my equipment over the past year and I am now considering going down the route of an ASIAir Pro.  Mainly to ditch the cable mess and laptop etc...

However I have read so many different articles about the 'best' connectivity option.

If i go decide to go down this route - as mentioned in the title my mount is a SW HEQ5.  Other equipment will include a guide cam ZWO ASI 120MM mini and either the 533MC or 294 MC as an imaging cam. 

The most reliable option seems to be via EQMOD cable and ditch the handheld?  Would you say this is the best way to go?  If so I assume the only thing i would need in terms of hardware is the correct cable - something like the Lynx Astro EQDIR USB adaptor (link below)?

Lynx Astro FTDI EQDIR USB Adapter for Sky-Watcher Mounts (see description for models) | First Light Optics

Any comments/other suggestions welcome :)

Thanks,

Jon

9 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

Its not an "EQMOD" cable as such, just a serial to USB cable so will will work with any system that requires serial data. The benefit of the Lynx cable is that it has the right connectors at both ends.

You're right re: the cable - in my mind that was the best way to descibe it when I posted 🙃

The EQ Mod cable is good for it.I use it.

You connect from the connecter on the mount straight to the ASI air via the USB connector. 

The only cable I have running from my shed is the Extension cable. then Power for the mount and the ASIair run from there.

I have 2x ZWO cameras, 2x Dew heaters and the Focuser powered from the ASIair.

It works great. Polar alignment takes about 2 minutes. Plate solving about 30 seconds. 

Best money I have spent on Kit. Heres a pic of my kit. Looks a bit of a mess with the Cables but when packing away I just disconnect the two power cables, disconnect power connector into ASIair and Disconnect the USB end of the EQ Mod cable. 

The whole lot is then lifted off with everything else still connected.  If you are not using a Focuser then just mark the Extension Tube with a marker pen so you find the focus point quicker next time you use the scope.

IMG_0410.thumb.jpg.f717878e9941dd7be0e99bf92c3ee000.jpg

46 minutes ago, valleyman said:

The EQ Mod cable is good for it.I use it.

You connect from the connecter on the mount straight to the ASI air via the USB connector. 

The only cable I have running from my shed is the Extension cable. then Power for the mount and the ASIair run from there.

I have 2x ZWO cameras, 2x Dew heaters and the Focuser powered from the ASIair.

It works great. Polar alignment takes about 2 minutes. Plate solving about 30 seconds. 

Best money I have spent on Kit. Heres a pic of my kit. Looks a bit of a mess with the Cables but when packing away I just disconnect the two power cables, disconnect power connector into ASIair and Disconnect the USB end of the EQ Mod cable. 

The whole lot is then lifted off with everything else still connected.  If you are not using a Focuser then just mark the Extension Tube with a marker pen so you find the focus point quicker next time you use the scope.

IMG_0410.thumb.jpg.f717878e9941dd7be0e99bf92c3ee000.jpg

Thanks for your reply. Assume you are using the same Lynx Astro cable as my link above?

Looks like a nice set-up you have there? What imaging cam are you using just out of curiosity?

17 minutes ago, Jonny_H said:

Thanks for your reply. Assume you are using the same Lynx Astro cable as my link above?

Looks like a nice set-up you have there? What imaging cam are you using just out of curiosity?

Yes it is the same cable The camera is the ZWO ASI 533MC-PRO USB 3.0 Cooled Colour Camera

4 hours ago, valleyman said:

Yes it is the same cable The camera is the ZWO ASI 533MC-PRO USB 3.0 Cooled Colour Camera

Nice! I am currently looking at the 533 or the 294mc pro. Pulling my hair out (what's left of it) deciding which one to go for! How are you finding the 533? Any issues so far? 

3 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

There is a usb to serial cable included in the AsiaAir Pro kit, the serial end is 9 pin male. So if you have a cable that fits the handset port on the HEQ5, ending in a 9 pin female you should be good to go.

Unfortunately I don't have a cable with a 9 pin female but thank you for the feedback.

10 hours ago, Jonny_H said:

Nice! I am currently looking at the 533 or the 294mc pro. Pulling my hair out (what's left of it) deciding which one to go for! How are you finding the 533? Any issues so far? 

Unfortunately I don't have a cable with a 9 pin female but thank you for the feedback.

It works fine, Had very little time this winter to use it because of the constant  grey skies here in South Wales .

Heres a pic from it 

M27.4.Nov.jpg

2 hours ago, valleyman said:

It works fine, Had very little time this winter to use it because of the constant  grey skies here in South Wales .

Heres a pic from it 

M27.4.Nov.jpg

Nice capture given our glorious UK weather!

May I ask if you had any other choices re: an imaging camera or did you always have your eyes set on the 533? Sorry for the questions - just looking for inspiration from others as I truly cannot decide what camera to go for! 

The choice was basically cost related.

I am in no way expert with Astro. So spending £1000,s was not an option.

The 533 came in at the lower end of what I wanted. ie Cooled. Which would cut down on the amount of time photoraphing.

Darks not needed. Although I do have a Darks Libaray . As far as quality goes ZWO takes some beating for the Price.

Pat

2 hours ago, valleyman said:

The choice was basically cost related.

I am in no way expert with Astro. So spending £1000,s was not an option.

The 533 came in at the lower end of what I wanted. ie Cooled. Which would cut down on the amount of time photoraphing.

Darks not needed. Although I do have a Darks Libaray . As far as quality goes ZWO takes some beating for the Price.

Pat

Thanks Pat.

Yes cost certainly plays an important role! I dare say I will still have this dilemma in a few weeks but not going to rush into anything!.....although some would argue it isn't a bad dilemma to be in! :)