NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

rotator and phd2 question

iwols

hi all just fitted a new rotator to my imaging train and using with nina,just wondered how you used your rotator with phd2 as this is what happens ,i start the sequence in nina ,it slews ,plate solves,autofocus and turns the camera with the rotator which means when phd2 starts to guide it actually needs recalibrating ,what do you do,do you calibrate everytime and can phd2 be made to calibrate after rotation,i also have the problem if the scope is too high it says calibration will be poor,any advice? thanks 

Edited by iwols

• iwols changed the title to rotator and phd2 question

PHD2 can connect to a rotator to receive the angle of rotation.  It is one of the connection options.   It will then adjust the calibration accordingly (assuming a previous calibration has been performed).  I imagine the rotator will need to be ascom compliant rather than a native driver.  

With regard to calibration, The closer the calibration star is to the NCP the less movement there is when the RA shift is made during calibration which has the potential to lead to a less accurate calibration.  A star close to the celestial equator is ideal.