Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Very Interesting Site

SteveNickolls

I thought I'd share this very interesting site with other SGL members-

https://lighttrends.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=9&lon=0.02131&lat=52.58884

It enables users to create a trend graph showing radiance levels in a specified area across 2013-2020. I've found that choosing the map grid, monchrome setting and adjusting the opacity of the Lights layer  from the pull down menu on the right jand side allows you to see the area underneath more easily. By clicking on the fourth icon on the left side you can create the points for the area you want to see.

I've been inputting my SQM-L data onto the https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=7.00&lat=52.8604&lon=-0.5894&layers=0BTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF site but never knew about this light trends application.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Steve

• Like 6

10 hours ago, RobertI said:

A very useful site, fun to fiddle with too. 

Yes, I hope you enjoy using it. I was quite surprised at the trend for around here showing a decrease in radiance picked up by satellites. It will be useful for keeping a watch on radiance as we are having a number of housing developments locally.

Cheers,
Steve

• Like 1

From what I've gleaned the satellites have a harder time picking up the blue peak from led lighting and which might explain why my location shows such  a drop over the years. Still worthwhile have recourse to the site.

325085690_LEDSpectra.png.fdb8ad8a734aa1f88822e4f71ef7400d.png

Also some of the peak outliers may be down to snow cover at the right times of the year.

Cheers,
Steve

16 minutes ago, SteveNickolls said:

From what I've gleaned the satellites have a harder time picking up the blue peak from led lighting and which might explain why my location shows such  a drop over the years. Still worthwhile have recourse to the site.

325085690_LEDSpectra.png.fdb8ad8a734aa1f88822e4f71ef7400d.png

Also some of the peak outliers may be down to snow cover at the right times of the year.

Cheers,
Steve

Surprising drop in my area over the years as well. In my case I think it reflects increasing heavy and frequent cloud cover that the light pollution can't penetrate!

• Like 1