Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Carrying the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Classic

A recent thread on SGL raised some differences in the way that the telescope could be safely carried.

I use the tension control handles to move mine but banjaxed advised not doing this due to experiencing a failure of a handle

As I was unable to find information in the manufacturers FAQ, I emailed the UK distributor (opticalvision.co.uk) for clarification.

I am posting their response as it may help others.

Please confirm you have the telescope in  the link below.

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_telescopes-sky-watcher-dobsonians/skyliner-200p.html

The references made are to that telescope, and when the telescope and base are fully assembled, the tension control handles can be used for two people to carry the assembled telescope and base unit

The OTA can be removed from the base by unscrewing the tension control handles completely (from the base as well). There are no handles supplied to carry the telescope tube separately. The tension control handles were not intended for that purpose.

With the telescope removed from the base, then one person can carry it by gripping the single handle on the base unit with one hand and underneath the circular base with the other hand.

Kind Regards

OVL

Edited by Spile
  • Thanks 1

I carry mine from the handles fully assembled. So the advise from the supplier seems to be to carry it  either as a full assembly or base and OTA? Am I right? Following with great interest.

I can see removing the tube and then screwing in the handles to the tube might lead to bending of the handles as they wouldn’t be screwed in all they way. If carried complete the handles wouldn’t have the threaded part sticking out to bend. Or at least that’s how I interpret OVLs reply.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kon said:

I carry mine from the handles fully assembled. So the advise from the supplier seems to be to carry it  either as a full assembly or base and OTA? Am I right? Following with great interest.

That is how I interpret their reply.  

I couldn't work out why it would be OK to carry the OTA and the base by the handles but not the OTA but like johninderby I came to the conclusion that the base uprights acts as a washer and that having the handles stick out is not a good idea. Possibly it could be a risk of the OTA turning round?

• Like 1