Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mare Humorum & Gassendi (24/01/2021)

rob_r

A couple of close ups of Mare Humorum and the Gassendi crater. These were the first from my new ASI224MC.
The first of Mare Humorum with the camera attached to my SW Mak 127 with an extender tube mounted on a EQ5. The close up of the crater was the same again, only with a Celestron 2x barlow added to the train. Considering getting a better quality barlow, I thought about a 5x but after reading some informative threads here that would be pointless. So a better quality 2x or 2.5x might be a future purchase and open to recommendations on this.

Each are the result of the best 30% frames of 10x 3,000 total frame videos processed via AS!3. Slight wavelet sharpening in Registax 6 then the both median stacked in Photoshop. Siril was throwing off the alignment due to too much movement between the frames. From there, slight level adjustments and sharpening in Photoshop v20. 
Taken on the 24th Jan and yes, it was quite cold (-4C) which eventually defeated me after 90 minutes, frost formed on the dew shield and dew quickly become apparent. But in all, I consider it a successful first attempt using the ASI224MC as it has captured some decent detail. The close up of Gassendi seems to show a slight shift in the blue channel I think, not sure what caused this unless it is a bad registration on the final stack.

mare_humorum.jpg

gassendi.jpg

Edited by rob_r
Better final stacks
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

The light was perfect to make the small craters really show in Mare Humorum.

Very nice images.

Thanks guys. It was the featured highlight for the Moon this month for the 24th and 25th in the BBC Sky at Night magazine and proved a good target practice for me using the new planetary camera.

Edited by rob_r