Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WHOOA! First light with with my new C6-S...

Firstly, thanks to all who've offered advice on which scope etc. over the last couple of weeks.

I eventually went for the C6-S and gave the nice man at FLO a ring on Thursday.

Friday lunchtime and I have a couple of big boxes waiting for me. :)

Set it all up this morning. All went smoothly, apart from the Dec motor, which needed its casing realigning to fit correctly - if anyone has similar issues, I can post some images to show how to solve this.

Carried its not insubstantial weight into the garden late afternoon and set the mount pointing north and RA angle as close to 52 as I could manage. Then centered the finder and scope on a distant pole.

By dusk, the moon was visible, so swung the scope around and took a first look. Clouds drifting across gave it an ethereal quality, and oh so beautiful.

Not much else visible, apart from Venus, so took a look and the crescent was clear and sharp.

So now all the family are in the garden gazing through this strange contraption. It's paid for itself already. ;)

Back to the moon and I spend some time taking a closer look between breaks in the cloud.

Feet are doing a good impression of blocks of ice, so I pop inside for a quick coffee.

20 minutes later and I return to the scope, and it's only drifted fractionally, so I'm really pleased - must have set it reasonably accurately.

Unfortunately, clouds are now winning. :(

Looks like snow.

But I'm an optimist, so I'm hoping for clearer skies later this evening.

:grin: :grin: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Archived