Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Taking the Plunge

AstroTiger

I have been considering for a while, going back to university to do a masters then perhaps a phd in astronomy.

Maths is Rubbish, but i encouraged by others here who are overcoming this. My problem is a little different though, i fear i might have a dyslexia for maths!

Still i have not re visited this since my school days.

The other problem is my basic degree is in chemistry, and that was only a gentlemans third. i was never a great chemist.

But what i am thinking is, there must be an idiots guide somewhere that will nice take a dunce like me from GCSE level maths up to the standard required. teaching it in plain english.

Does anyone know of a non scary book i could try from?

My next plan after sharpening my maths skills is to do some basic courses on astronomy with the OU. I want to fill in those blanks i seem to have.

Then try for a masters

Now the question is, has anyone here either considering, or progressing a similar course?

I know some on here are doing degrees in astronomy.

What i am aiming to do is some real science, proper research. I know many do work with pros on this, i would like to be one does this too.

Any advise greatfully recieved, with thanks

AT

My wife is doing a degree with the OU. Not sure how it works but hers is made up of modules which she gets to choose from a list. think the degree might social science. Anyhow one of the modules she has chosen is An introduction to Astronomy. Think it starts in September but not sure, will ask her when she gets home, I think this module costs £140, I am going to do the module alongside her just as an exercise to learn more.

Best of luck. Have to say mind, if you're not good at maths, it can be a major handicap in studying Astronomy. The reason I say this is I've been there and bought the T-shirt. I don't know if you studied Astronomy or Astrophysics at Undergaduate level but it is a completely different animal to the amateur astronomy we know and love. It is Applied Physics with a focus on astronomical themes and some of the maths is - well - frightening.

I tried to avoid the maths-intensive courses with clever choice of units, but it was impossible to avoid it altogether, and your options become limited.

If that's what you want to do then go for it, but if I were you I'd consider studying through the OU where you can get an idea of the level of maths without committing too much money in one go, and/or apply your units to a different course if the maths isn't for you.

HTH

DD

The OU have courses that are worth points (usually either 10,30 or 60) towards a 360 point degree. If you take a basic maths course with the OU to brush up after a long break of education like I did, you'll also get the 30 credits towards your degree at the end of the module. Astronomy/ Chemistry etc degrees usually have either 60 or 90 points out of the 360 that can be gained from any maths/ science modules rather than have to be strictly "on-topic" modules. A starter maths course is a good way to brush up your maths, get your confidence in learning back and get a few, not so tough, points towards your degree while keeping your options for a degree subject open.

The OU have courses that are worth points (usually either 10,30 or 60) towards a 360 point degree. If you take a basic maths course with the OU to brush up after a long break of education like I did, you'll also get the 30 credits towards your degree at the end of the module. Astronomy/ Chemistry etc degrees usually have either 60 or 90 points out of the 360 that can be gained from any maths/ science modules rather than have to be strictly "on-topic" modules. A starter maths course is a good way to brush up your maths, get your confidence in learning back and get a few, not so tough, points towards your degree while keeping your options for a degree subject open.

That sounds like a wise idea to me.

I once heard a quote regarding I think it was referring to Einstein, "he wasn't very good at maths a bit above A level standard" and we are talking pure maths - calculus algebra and the rest. Unfortunately physics/astronomy is virtually all maths above the amatuer level.

I once heard a quote regarding I think it was referring to Einstein, "he wasn't very good at maths a bit above A level standard" and we are talking pure maths - calculus algebra and the rest. Unfortunately physics/astronomy is virtually all maths above the amatuer level.

Einstein's first wife and co-worker, Mileva Maric, is usually credited with having written the maths for General Relativity. Unless Einstein was just being incredibly modest and understated, there's no way in he could have devised metric tensors IMO!

Einstein's first wife and co-worker, Mileva Maric, is usually credited with having written the maths for General Relativity. Unless Einstein was just being incredibly modest and understated, there's no way in he could have devised metric tensors IMO!

Good woman behind.......etc etc

AstroTiger I suggest you look up a A level pure maths paper on the internet that would be the starters for 10 regarding the level of Maths you need.

At worse, why not go to a local college and undertake an A level maths. I remember a few years ago, I was studying for a degree in computer science, I did a two year foundation course, the maths entry level shown to me seemed quite reasonable until I tried to move on, then it smacked me very hard indeed. It was also impossible for me to seek advice from any old maths person (including my brother in law, who has a maths degree) as the maths used in the computer science field was very different from what he had been taught.

Id try an A level first and then see how easy or hard you find it, it may or may not save you a lot of money.

I have just started MST121 with the OU as I intend to work towards a degree in Physics (just for my own interest). Looks like a good thorough introductory course with good materials

If you have done A-Level it should be a good refresher course. I did an engineering degree with pretty heavy maths content, and I don't expect this course to go to those depths, but it should help give you some confidence to move forwards from there. I wasn't too hot at maths at University, so I'm hoping to put those demons to rest with this, and other courses.

I found A Level to undergraduate maths quite a leap, and I would expect post-graduate Astronomy to require significant mathematical rigor.

Good Luck!

Wayne

thanks again for that

I guess for me the scary thing is recalling just how hard the maths hit me after my GCSEs (over 15 years ago now!)

I recall looking at the pure maths, and for a while as the lecturer did the solutions it looked easy, until y ou have a go.

I was from a mediocre maths background in GCSE, i did the intermediate level and passed that with a C.

The higher lever GCSE maths i guess is what i needed to look at first.

Here i am 35 with the same amibition i had as a kid finding it harder to ignore, there more i get drawn to it.

So i guess i had to try, or die wondering if i could.

I think i will buy some books on GCSE maths first the higher level. Learn these principles, then see if i can take the pure maths at A.

If i can master these, i guess i will go for it!

Thanks for all the encouragement guys,

I will certainly keep you informed!

AT

AstroTiger, I have just started a course with the OU with a view to getting a Physics/Astronomy degree for a laugh (I'm weird like that). I had a problem deciding which maths courses to do because I already have a degree in Maths but it was about a million years ago and I don't remember any of it (partially because I spent most of it in the bar :( ). If you wanted to use the OU to get up to speed, they have a site which helps you decide which maths course is the right one for you. Check out:

http://mathschoices.open.ac.uk/

As for a good book, sorry I don't know any. Look at the reader reviews on Amazon maybe?

waynezilla: Be intersted to know what you make of M121 as I was thinking of doing that one in October.

Cheers

Andy

Archived