Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Klevtsov, worth the opportunity?

Hey guys,

I have an opportunity to potentially pick up a TAL 150K. I know these are a different style of Cassegrain. Seems to be somewhat of a rare scope, and I like the idea of having something a bit different. From what I've read they can have focuser issues but otherwise a solid Russian tank of a scope. 

My only other scope at the moment is an Orion 102 Mak, so I don't know if the difference in visual will be highly different. 

Is it worth grabbing, just for the sake of owning one? 

Clear skies (well not for me tonight) 

I can't help re this particular scope but others here will have experience of them, @sloz1664 for example who can tell you more. There is this thread I found which may be worth a read

TAL 150K Scope - Discussions - Scopes / Whole setups - Stargazers Lounge

I'd expect being TAL it should be very solidly made and give good views so probably worth going and taking a closer look. Make sure it has the diagonal and other accessories as they won't be as easy to come by nowadays.

The Tal Klevtsov scopes have high quality optics and as Dave has remarked they are built to last. They keep collimation very well as it has a fixed mirror. I have had to touch mine in the 6 years I have owned my Tal 200K. It would be helpful to check the collimation prior to purchase. Fabulous scope, wouldn't part with mine.

tal-150K,200K,250K modern english service manual.pdf

Steve

Edited by sloz1664
  • Like 1

Best if you can focus on a star & checking either side of focus for concentric rings. It should give you some suggestions in the manual. Although, I haven't heard of any scopes being out of collimation on purchase. Only mis-collimation by someone tampering 😱

Steve

That's definitely a TAL :) Yes it has the rack and pinion focuser, sometimes they are not as smooth as they should be, if they haven't be looked after and it's usually the grease has hardened. They are easy to service, once cleaned and silicon greased they work well.

Steve

If I may draw on some of your experience Steve.

Have you used your 200k as visual only or tried AP with it? 

My next planned purchase was to be a 200/1000 f5 newt. I know these are totally different animals. I like the idea of the physically shorter scope but I wonder does the trade in aperture change much?

Also I've included a photo. The scope comes on an EQ5 (according to the seller). But this doesn't seem to be an original mount to me? 

I've heard a good 6" with good quality optics can last a lifetime, and it sounds like the TAL should have better optics over a mass produced Synta... My other thought (although beyond my budget at the moment) had been an Intes Mak-Newt. I think I have a Cassegrain problem lol. 

Thank you for listening to the rambles and to any further advice you provide.

Gary

s-l400 (2).webp