NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher evostar ed80

Hi guys, I am new to this whole thing. I have just began imaging and my set up is a skywatcher Ed80, heq5pro, evoguide 50ed, zwo183pro, zwo120mm mini...

my question is I’ve imaged the Orion and tarantula nebulae so far (not too good as post processing so any tips on tarantula would be much appreciated) but I REALLY want to get the rosette. When I take 3 minutes subs - nothing at all shows up besides the stars..... no neb colours or clouds at all 😭 do I need a special filter? Or is the ed80 and zwo 183 just not capable of capturing it?  Thank you! 

58356851-855B-4FA4-BDB8-D3960E3BD6B4.jpeg

Edited by Soulitude

That should be capable of capturing the Rosette. Longer subs would help but I would have thought that something would be there. Are you sure that you were on it? Could you share a light frame. What was your total integration time?

Edited by PeterCPC
  • Like 1

If you're using ATP, you could use pointcraft to platesolve to the targets! 

I have no experience with "point and shoot" as I got all that sorted before I started with my first image. But it's super simple.  Install the databases, select a target in APT, click GOTO++ and the rig finds the target by itself, no matter how faint it is

• Like 1

The Rosette will appear as long as you are on target but does need significant stretch and curve tweaks to bring it out.

+1 for using APT and pointcraft to get spot on target as there will be nothing in a single frame to let you see where it is.

90 sec is on the low side for the Rosette but here are 2 photos of mine from the Rosette at 90 sec exposures, Taken with my Skywatcher Equinox ED80 (with reducer flattener)

I used DSS to stack about 16 subs as I recall for the first dark image

The 2nd shows the nebula processed for 2 mins in GIMP , I did not process further as I could see I needed longer subs and more of them.

these tutorials might be handy

GIMP Astrophotography Editing Tutorial - YouTube

Orion Nebula (M42) with a DSLR, Start to Finish, Pt. 2b - DeepSkyStacker and GIMP - YouTube

22 Nov 20 Rosette 400.jpg21 Nov 20 Rosette stretch 400.jpg

Edited by fifeskies
  • Like 1

I have pretty much an identical setup bar the 183 mc, I have the mono. I also shoot 3 minute subs for LRGB! The detail for me is faint when stretched so I imagine it would be fainter with the colour camera. As others have said, learn something like APT which will teach you how to platesolve so you know you are bang on target, then take a shot and use the autostretch tool to stretch the histogram and you should really see something, even if faint.

You could also upload one of your frames to https://nova.astrometry.net/upload and it will solve the image and show you exactly what you've taken a picture of and if it includes the Rosette.

Definately post one of your shots here and I imagine the answer will come to someone looking.