NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The other end of the scale - Cheap Mounts - Basic Questions!

Jasonb

Hi there,

So, I'm new to the hobby, and I was wondering about mounts. I have a Skywatcher StarQuest 130P (Sky-Watcher StarQuest-130P f/5 Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope | First Light Optics). It comes with an EQ mount. But I don't know the 'type' of EQ mount.

I've read EQ1, EQ2, EQ3, EQ5 etc. but I don't know if they're standard mounts (i.e. different manufacturers all make EQ1s and EQ3) or if that just what Skywatcher calls their mounts. If they are standard mounts, what's the difference between an EQ1, EQ3 or EQ5? Skywatcher have an EQ3-2, is that some variation on the EQ3 standard? What type of mount came with my scope, is it EQ1, something else?

I suppose I'm just trying to research the different types of EQ mounts out there, not really from a buying point of view, just from a gaining knowledge point of view. 

Also, are the legs/tripod considered part of the mount (so an EQ1 mount means a certain type of legs, like aluminium for example) are are they treated as a separate part?

Any help appreciated, even if you can just point me towards a link or two!

Thanks...

Edited by Jasonb

As the range number increases so does the capability.

The eq1 will take the least weight, doesn't have polar scope and weakest accuracy if a motor is fitted.

Eq2 carries a bit more weight, less flimsy, but still no polar scope, motor that can be fitted is I think the same as for eq1.

Eq 3-2 increased carrying capacity, can have a polar scope fitted, can have one or dual motors and even with goto. Better legs I think.

Eq5 increased carrying weight and stability and improved over the eq3-2 including better legs.

Heq5 improved again over the eq5

eq6 etc...

Observing weight capacity of a mount is greater than the suggested imaging weight as imaging and accuracy is more demanding.

Actual specific details of the differences I don't know as I've stuck with altaz mounts and changes are also to the internals of the motors and gear accuracy.

• Like 1

Jasonb  Have a look at the scopes on First Light Optics web page , you can see the details of all the Skywatcher models(and other makes) and while you are there start a "wish list" oops sorry !!! 

Edited by tonylumley
  • Like 1

Happy-kat summarised very nicely the range and their capabilities. 

You can see the specs of the different SkyWatcher EQ range here:

http://skywatcher.com/series/equatorial-mounts-tripods/

I currently have an EQ3-2 (aluminium tripod), an EQ5 and an HEQ5 (goto) but previously owned an EQ2. 

As you go up the range the sturdiness increases and thus the payload they can tolerate, but also the weight of the mount increases. My EQ3 isn't very sturdy, so with my largest (120mm) frac it does wobble around, but it's light enough that it tends to be my grab-'n'-go weapon of choice. 

I haven't seen your mount before but it looks like an updated version of the EQ2 perhaps.

The mount and the tripod are separate entities but often -e.g in the SkyWatcher range - they seem to nearly always come as a package and therefore considered as a single unit when advertised. Always worth checking when buying to see if the tripod is included though.

HTH

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies!

That skywatcher site is handy to show the differences between their mounts, thanks. I hadn't thought of looking at it as I'd noticed before that my scope (and the range of scopes mine is part off), isn't even on their own site! I think my scope is from their new range, so you'd think they'd have it there! :) I think you're right, it's an updated version of an EQ1 or 2 I reckon. The only difference listed on their site between the EQ1 and 2 is the weight they can support (3.2Kg v 4.1Kg) and the weight of the counterweight (2.08Kg v 3.56Kg). FLO says the max payload of the mount on my scope is 3Kg, which would suggest an updated EQ1.

Just out of curiosity, I assume (incorrectly?) that a steel tripod could be added to a EQ1 or 2? Just to remove some of the vibration? I know FLO have a steel one listed (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/sky-watcher-38-stainless-steel-tripod.html) that could replace the aluminium one, assuming the fitting is the same? No plans to buy one now, but could be a potential upgrade in the future?

Edited by Jasonb

Hi Jasonb 

I was bought a 130 newt on an alu eq2. It was too much for the mount with lots of wobble.

I have found that after trying everything to remove the shake (sand filled legs, packing washers etc) the wobble is inherently in the mount head not the tripod. Upgrading to a steel tripod is probably not the answer.

I now use my eq2 as a laptop stand. When I moved up to an NEQ5 pro the difference in what I could see with the newt was amazing with no wobbles.

There is no shortcut on mounts. For me it would start with eq3 for very small scopes  and EQ5 for medium scopes and onwards.

Marvin

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply Marvin.

Yeah, long term the ideal would be something like an EQ5. This is more an intellectual exercise for me (finding out exactly what I have, what is out there, what the options are etc.) as I have no plans/money to upgrade anytime soon. I will be trying some weights off the mount and that kinda stuff just to see what affect it has on vibration. 

But like you say, it's a lighweight basic mount, and while the 130P isn't a big scope, it's not small either. Interestingly enough, the OTA weighs in at 5Kg (not including an eyepiece), which is already 2KG over the spec of the mount, according to the FLO page.