Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M103 - File Size 198K

Ant

Here is the first image processed from last night. This is 18% of original size.

Canon 300D with 2 x Barlow (DOH!), ISO 1600, 15 x 20 seconds.

I made a mistake on all the images that I took last night - I left the barlow in place. So...

one I have a smaller FOV than I would normally have had,

two the star trailing was preventing me from doing more than about 45 seconds

three, there is little flaring towards the other edges of the image - this has been greatly reduced by the resizing though.

All in All very happy with this one. There is a lovely orange star right in the centre - which makes a great contrast to the other stars...

M103_15x20secs_sml.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Ant

It's a very nice little cluster that one. I've ever actually seen it before - it doesn't show up too well in the finder - but I was lucky in that the first test image that I took showed it and I could centre it really easy...

Ant

Very nice indeed Ant. You've really captured that nicely, and the colours are awesome. Nice 20sec subs as well.

I must admit it looked a very nice little cluster in the eyepiece. One for next time.

Russ

That Orange star is Mag 10.59 Ant just checked it dessignated name is TYC 4031-2238-1 Little is know about it matey.

James

I wouldn't say little is known about it, James. A quick search comes up with a few interesting facts. It's also known as SAO 11826, is mentioned in 28 scientific papers dating from the 1800's to 2004. It's an M type super giant and has an eclipsing companion. And that's just a quick look, and searching under the SAO number.

I wouldn't say little is known about it, James.  A quick search comes up with a few interesting facts.  It's also known as SAO 11826, is mentioned in 28 scientific papers dating from the 1800's to 2004.  It's an M type super giant and has an eclipsing companion.  And that's just a quick look, and searching under the SAO number.

Thanks for the SAO number astroman i didnt have a clue as to it's number :) i would of suspected it too be a red Giant or Super red Giant :)

Just goes to show there's many a Gem in these Cluster's

James :)

Archived