Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saxon vs Skywatcher vs Bintel

Looking for advice as to optic comparison between the 200/1000 dual speed Newtonians

I know Saxon and Skywatcher are made by Synta in China, Bintel is made by Guan Sheng in Taiwan. 

Bintel says it's mirror is Bak 7, but I can't find any quality on the other two aside from they are parabolic. 

Bintel also has a cooling fan included. However it's also the cheapest of the three in Australia

All three are capable of astrophotography.

Just wondering if people have experience with the Bintel and which would you choose and why? 

Cheers,

Gary 

Hi Gary,

I doubt anyone outside of Oz knows about Bintel, but these Synta and Guan Sheng telescopes seem to all be basically the same with minor variations.

The Bak 7 glass is a boroscilicate type, not as good quality as Bak4 but not bad.

Skywatcher also uses Pyrex which is also a type of boroscilicate but whether they use the same minerals in theirs I don't know.

I doubt you would see much difference in the optics if any. My SW Dob gives me excellent views when the seeing is good.

Cheers, Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Barnes

20 hours ago, Powdergnome86 said:

Looking for advice as to optic comparison between the 200/1000 dual speed Newtonians

I know Saxon and Skywatcher are made by Synta in China, Bintel is made by Guan Sheng in Taiwan. 

Bintel says it's mirror is Bak 7, but I can't find any quality on the other two aside from they are parabolic. 

Bintel also has a cooling fan included. However it's also the cheapest of the three in Australia

All three are capable of astrophotography.

Just wondering if people have experience with the Bintel and which would you choose and why? 

Cheers,

Gary 

Hi Gary. I've got a Saxon 10 inch dobsonian, I've found the Saxon optics and eyepieces to be of the highest quality. Images are sharp and bright. Hope this helps. Cheers

Saxon are made by Synta so the same as the Skywatcher, Celestron, and some of the Orion (USA) and Konus branded scopes. The Bintel is a GSO product so the same manufacturer as the Telescope Services, Zhumell (in the USA), Meade Lightbridge and Revelation dobs here in the UK. I think the Bresser dobs are made by them as well.

Both about the same in terms of optical quality.

Edited by John

Thank you for the feedback guys.

Part of me is thinking I may go down the Bintel (gso) route just to try it out.  I wonder if the cooling fan is supplied as a trade off because it's not higher quality glass.... That said I know in the research I have been doing that Orion Optics (UK) also come with mounted cooling fans.

My housemate was saying to me before that telescope shopping sounds like walking into a fish market and saying you would like a "fish"... Only to discover just how many different ones there are. 

I encountered a new type last night, the Klevstov Mak, oh and RC's as well... Both outside my budget at the moment.

Hope you are keeping well wherever you may be and clear skies 

Gary