Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

H130 on many

jetstream

For the first time in a bit clear and nicely transparent sky was out there, with some wolves across the bay howling, a great setting to observe in.

The H130 and one eyepiece, a 24mm ES 68 were set out and a 10 second collimation had the rig ready to go. A NPB was also along as well. First M42, M43 and a glow of Running man were observed. M42 had its lower loop partially visible - this scope sure works on big stuff. The Flame had 2 segments visible and had I used a narrow ortho,18mmish, the Flame would had even looked more complete. Gotta love orthos.

So what can the H130 pull out? Tonight the Flaming Star neb was easily visible with the NPB.The Merope (and more) was a direct vision, contrasted object- obviously with no filter. M81/M82 were vg brightish streaks in the 24mm.

These are very capable telescopes and many more objects were observed as I panned the sky in beautiful -10c , crystal clear skies.

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 8

Excellent Gerry, love the wolves part! My dad just bought an Orion USA Heritage 150p equivalent, think it's called a 6" Star-blaster or something like that. He's only tried it once but I'm trying to convince him to get two better eyepieces with slightly wider FOVs in the 24-25mm and 8-12mm range, maybe some flat field EPs.

It doesn't take 2" EPs but still some low cost eyepieces would be a nice upgrade. He's talking about driving out of his area to darker skies some time, the LP is pretty bad where he lives.

I had the 15x70s with filters out looking at NGC1499 two night ago under 21.15 skies, even caught the Veil very early in the evening. 

Tonight looking good! Setting up the 20" at home.

Keep the reports coming! Was around -4C the other night here, quite cold by our standards but I love it.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

It doesn't take 2" EPs but still some low cost eyepieces would be a nice upgrade

Explore Scientific offer 2 nice widefields for the H130- the 26mm ES 62 and the 24mm ES 68. I can attest to the 24mm and I think @Nyctimene can verify the 26mm performance. Sterling Plossls have a good reputation as well.

Its great your Dad has a scope! and an excellent one at that!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jetstream said:

Explore Scientific offer 2 nice widefields for the H130- the 26mm ES 62 and the 24mm ES 68. I can attest to the 24mm and I think @Nyctimene can verify the 26mm performance. Sterling Plossls have a good reputation as well.

Its great your Dad has a scope! and an excellent one at that!

Now I just need to motivate him to use it! He's good at excuses :)

• Like 1