NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wow a clear sky!

old_eyes

Well! After what feels like months of cloudy skies we have a beauty tonight. Started at 6pm (I know not quite dark yet, but Hey! It's a clear sky!) and still going at midnight. I can't remember the last time I saw so many stars. Everything running smoothly, so I can just take my time to enjoy watching Orion rise and sweep majestically across the sky. So much fun!

• Like 7

I think it may even have been mid last week I had my first clear sky in ages. Unexpected at the time, so without bothering of a telescope I put on a huge coat took a chair into the field behind my house and just soaked in the stars for a couple of hours. SW Ireland so not unlike N Wales very dark, but the stars so bright and so many.

• Like 2

Clear outside forecast a cloudless two hours around midnight , so I was prepared, but the clear patch drifted in around an hour earlier , so I missed some of it.  Still, nearly two hours of clear skies and decent seeing ... felt like a rare treat !

Mind you, I squandered some of those precious minutes because I hadn't  realised how much I'd got used to the mak on an alt/az  which has been what I've used for the last two months while the planets have been well placed ...  I decided I should give the dob an outing tonight, and I kept nudging it the wrong way , doh !

Heather

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We've had a few good clear spells recently but they've been accompanied by a thick layer of impenetrable ice over the ground, so I haven't been very keen to go out there in the dark (plus it's bloody cold!)  A few minutes from the bathroom window is as much as I've had recently.

Edited by jonathan