Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Live feed observing sessions

Wpit

I notice that some members are looking at ways to provide a live feed of their observing session. Is there currently any part of the lounge were links to these sessions can be found and shared with other members. Personally I'd find it very interesting to be able to view other members views especially if weather or light pollution hinders your own viewing sessions.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, as the weather in the UK is so unpredictable, announcing a live broadcast session is fraught with challenges.  More likely than not the event might be cancelled due to cloud, hence leaving a good many potential viewers disappointed.  It is far more likely that you will find ad-hoc streams from UK observers being posted on YouTube that are published after the event. However, some of our pals in the USA tend to enjoy better weather  (such as in California) and hence enjoy far greater live broadcast opportunity. There are also some dedicated channels for this purpose.  I think it would be a good idea if SGL did have a page where announcements  could be made about forthcoming live streams, but I doubt if there would be very many originating from the UK. 

However, I recently participated in an international cooperation on-line 'Messier Marathon' via the Cloudy Nights EAA Forum and I see no reason why something similar would not work in Stargazers Lounge. ..

Basically, a team of EAA observers  that only knew each other via text  messaging in a forum, from Italy, Belgium, UK, and the USA/Canada joined a Zoom meeting that started after dusk in Europe.  It was then still daylight in the USA, but US observers could enjoy our European after dark input. (from Belgium and Italy as we were blighted by cloud).  Images were initially captured in Europe and folk shared their screens with our US colleagues via Zoom.  Progressively,  dark skies embraced those ever further west, so we in Europe could then enjoy the views appearing on  USA screens. Frankly it was utter madness as it became a chase and race to determine who could capture what from the Messier catalogue and when, but it was great fun and comradery.  I am not sure it would have worked so well had we not defined an objective (such as the Messier catalogue),  but other topics are possible. One wag even suggested if enough participants, next time, we could attempt to do the entire NGC catalogue! 

Ultimately, the 'Team' managed to capture and share on screen (near) live views of all 110 Messier objects in about 12 hours where folk would stay for a couple of hours, grab some sleep then return.  Sadly, the least number of contributions as regards images came from the UK as cloud engulfed us (again).  Similar events probably do need to be led by US observers with kinder skies. However, as this was a interactive Zoom conversation, those blighted by cloud were able to make a significant contribution in other ways, such as demonstrating our equipment. We all learned an enormous amount about the software used by others.  This Messier event was possibly the world's first international on-line gathering of EAA enthusiasts doing what we do best (which might be only cloud watching in some locations!)  Another such event is planned later this month. 

If enough people were interested in SGL (n.b. we would need a number with guaranteed good skies else it might flop) we could perhaps attempt something.  My only thought though is that we don't get that many threads in EEVA, so we might not have enough participants to make it viable. 

• Like 2

Really interested in this,

I have recently aquired (today) an Altair Astro GPCAM2 327C and am keen to get out with it and start imaging.

Online events or any event for that matter requires planning and with this hobby the weather is an occupational hazard. Opening the event up to an international participation group increases the chances of success. 

One of the positive outcomes from this pandemic is our ability to reach our via zoom, teams etc and contact others that we would not have previously considered.

Plenty of recorded live sessions on you tube,  Searching "EAA Astronomy" works quite well.

Gary Hawkins does some long sessions using sharpcap without exotic equipment. You may find these very helpful, especially as he's not one of the "know it all's

Steve

Gary Hawkins is a prolific live streamer and enjoys the weather to permit this.  Another enthusiast is Doug from Emerald Hills Skies. His channel can be found at Emerald Hills Skies - YouTube

Doug brilliantly organised the Zoom Messier Marathon that I mentioned earlier. Gary (like me) participated, also  Roel (from Belgium) and Robert from UK (both SGL members) joined the fun.  If you subscribe to Doug's YouTube Channel I am sure that you will hear of future live on-line events. It would be good to get a few more UK/European participants involved.  I agree with Brown Dwarf,  this ambitious type of event does need international participation, else if all were located in the UK we might simply end up drinking and crying together whilst looking at clouds. Wow, I've just inverted the virtual Astro- Zoom pub!