NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nights observations from Perth

Epick Crom

Hi my fellow stargazers! This is my observation report from last night 2/1/21 from Perth, Australia. Instrument: 10 inch dobsonian. Seeing wasn't the best with some high hazy cloud about. I started by scanning the area around Orion's bow, and soon discovered NGC 1662. This is a loose open cluster/ asterism but with a stunning shape, a line of stars with a cross shape on one side. Interesting! I came across another amazing asterism just above the star Tabit. It looks like two equal triangles pointing to each other. I just love seeing so many telescopic asterisms within constellations. I then set my sights on the wonderful constellation Monoceros and scanned the area at 70x power. My word, so many lovely star fields and open clusters! I spent over 30 min just admiring the riches of this constellation. I observed Beta Monocerotis, what a beautiful triple star with three equal white components. My next target was the glorious constellation of Puppis. Another rich area like Monoceros, I enjoyed stunning views of M93 and NGC 4755. My final observation of the night was Mars. I ramped up the power to 267x. Mars was looking very gibbous with dark markings discerned near the centre of the disk. More haze moving in plus the rising just past full moon put an end to my nights observations. All in all a great night and went to bed a very happy man. Since purchasing my 10 inch dobsonian three months ago I've been deeply in love with Astronomy, and I've only just scratched the surface regarding this scopes capabilities. Thanks for reading and clear skies to all !

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Nice, enthusiastic report!  That 10" Dob will provide you with a great deal of pleasure.

Doug.

Thanks Doug! Yes the 10 inch is certainly surpassing my wildest expectations. I have been observing for three years now, my previous kit was 20x80 binoculars which really helped me learn the night sky. This is my first telescope and the difference is staggering to say the least! I can see myself using this telescope for the rest of my life, words can't do it justice! Wishing you clear skies and lots of enjoyment 😁

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

Nice one! I bet you have some stunning night skies out there. I'd love to see the Magellanic Clouds some day. Have fun with the 10" dob and keep up the good work, I love my dobs! 👍

Hi Ships and Stars! Yes my skies are stunning here, almost every night is clear here in summer, so I'm truly blessed. I hope you will get to see the Magellanic Clouds one day, they look like mini detached portions of the milky way. I was observing the globular 47 Tuc last night absolutely breathtaking! At least you have Ursa Major and Polaris I've always wanted to see those! Yes Dobs are great aren't they? Clear skies to you mate!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Epick Crom said:

Hi Ships and Stars! Yes my skies are stunning here, almost every night is clear here in summer, so I'm truly blessed. I hope you will get to see the Magellanic Clouds one day, they look like mini detached portions of the milky way. I was observing the globular 47 Tuc last night absolutely breathtaking! At least you have Ursa Major and Polaris I've always wanted to see those! Yes Dobs are great aren't they? Clear skies to you mate!

I'll make it to WA someday I hope! We don't get a lot of really clear nights here but when we do it's a big deal. Cold winter nights seem to be the best. We've a few good sights up here at 57N, but I wish Orion was a bit higher overhead. Ursa Major has a lot of galaxies tucked in there, plus M97 and M108 are very cool. 

Look forward to more southern reports! I'll read up on 47 Tuc again, I've heard the name but don't know much about it. Clear skies as well, cheers!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

I'll make it to WA someday I hope! We don't get a lot of really clear nights here but when we do it's a big deal. Cold winter nights seem to be the best. We've a few good sights up here at 57N, but I wish Orion was a bit higher overhead. Ursa Major has a lot of galaxies tucked in there, plus M97 and M108 are very cool. 

Look forward to more southern reports! I'll read up on 47 Tuc again, I've heard the name but don't know much about it. Clear skies as well, cheers!

47 Tucanae or NGC 104 is the 2nd brightest globular cluster in the sky. It is located close to the Small Magellanic Cloud. Another grand sight you have is the double cluster in Perseus it doesn't rise from my location :( I also haven't yet seen the Andromeda galaxy. Hope you can make it to WA someday, our skies are awesome! Thanks for reading my southern reports I will have another one up soon! I also enjoy reading your northern reports. Take care and clear skies!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, astrocanito said:

nice report. i never saw the Magellanic Clouds should be amazing. The Perseus double cluster i see a lot because it's like the Orion Nebula, never fails. cheers

Yes Astrocanito, the double cluster must be amazing. Likewise the Andromeda galaxy. I see the Magellanic Clouds almost nightly, it's great to observe them with a telescope as you can see clusters, globulars and nebulae within them. Happy stargazing!

Funny I have a list of Southern Hemisphere objects I’d really like to see, I’d never considered the other way around!

Thinking about it now: Andromeda an actual galaxy visible naked eye from a dark enough location. And such iconic shapes as Ursa Major and Minor, Polaris as you say, never visible from the South.

I too hanker after 47 Tuc and the Magellanic Clouds! And Crux.

Cheers, Magnus

• Like 1

Nice report !

I visited Australia for a month in 2018. We had great weather but mostly cloudy nights. I did manage to use my 8x56 binoculars a few times and observed the Magellanic Clouds and also the wonderful globular cluster 47 Tucanae close to the SMC (in line of sight terms). Wonderful sights :smiley:

Wish I'd been able to spend more time observing while down there :rolleyes2:

We will have to come back again !

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Funny I have a list of Southern Hemisphere objects I’d really like to see, I’d never considered the other way around!

Thinking about it now: Andromeda an actual galaxy visible naked eye from a dark enough location. And such iconic shapes as Ursa Major and Minor, Polaris as you say, never visible from the South.

I too hanker after 47 Tuc and the Magellanic Clouds! And Crux.

Cheers, Magnus

Hi Magnus. Yes we in the south also have a list of northern targets we would like to see! I've always wanted to see Ursa Major and Polaris! Hopefully some day😊. Take care

1 hour ago, John said:

Nice report !

I visited Australia for a month in 2018. We had great weather but mostly cloudy nights. I did manage to use my 8x56 binoculars a few times and observed the Magellanic Clouds and also the wonderful globular cluster 47 Tucanae close to the SMC (in line of sight terms). Wonderful sights :smiley:

Wish I'd been able to spend more time observing while down there :rolleyes2:

We will have to come back again !

Hi John. Hope you can come down under again 🙂. The Carina constellation is one of the amazing southern constellations we have here. Cheers!

• Thanks 1