Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Esprit 100ED, ZWO ASI2600MM & 36mm Unmounted Filters

Hi,

My current setup is the ASI1600MM, Esprit 100ED, SX Filterwheel with 36mm unmounted filters.

Is it worth upgrading to the ASI2600MM when it is available (Maybe quite a wait as there seems to be plenty waiting for it) ?

I understand that the filters and scope are on the very edge of what is ideal for this camera but is it worth getting. I doubt I will be able to afford 2" filters anytime soon or indeed upgrading to the 120ED or 150ED, although the scope maybe a possibility in the near future.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang

I use a 2600mc with an Esprit 120 and I use 2" filters with an EFW.  The 2600 is the same body as the 6200 so it has the same connections available which means that everything is bolted on in the same ways. So whatever you see supported on the 6200, is the same for the 2600 on zwo's website.

The 6200/2600 are fairly heavy cameras. In order to avoid sag, I use a setup like this.  Esprit 120 -> Reducer -> 6200 Tilt Plate Bolted to -> OAG Bolted to -> EFW Bolted to -> 2600mc pro

I would avoid anything that isn't bolted if you can, which means using 2" filters for now, but rumor is ZWO will have a bolt in 36mm efw available as well, but i expect it won't necessarily be much cheaper due to competition for 36mm filters.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2021 at 15:17, sn2006gy said:

rumor is ZWO will have a bolt in 36mm efw available as well, but i expect it won't necessarily be much cheaper due to competition for 36mm filters.

I've just ordered the QHY version with the 36mm filter wheel as between the price of the wheel and the price of astronomik filters I've saved about £900 v.s. the 2" filter wheel and filters.

• Thanks 1

On 30/12/2020 at 15:34, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Hi,

My current setup is the ASI1600MM, Esprit 100ED, SX Filterwheel with 36mm unmounted filters.

Is it worth upgrading to the ASI2600MM when it is available (Maybe quite a wait as there seems to be plenty waiting for it) ?

I understand that the filters and scope are on the very edge of what is ideal for this camera but is it worth getting. I doubt I will be able to afford 2" filters anytime soon or indeed upgrading to the 120ED or 150ED, although the scope maybe a possibility in the near future.

Steve

What would be the benefit in your view?

Olly

16 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

For myself, the wider FoV (but maintaining the same pixel scale, so can always crop down to the same as the 1600), higher QE, lower noise, reduced/no amp glow and higher contrast. :)

Edited by Endolf

17 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Olly

Well really that's what I wanted to know.

The no amp glow that is promised is obviously great, but not necessarily worth the cost as it can be dealt with calibration frames.
A greater FOV would also be a benefit but with my setup not sure I will get that, if I have to crop heavily due to issues with filters not being big enough or close enough to camera.

image.png.7a5867c636e8ab5c0f96a6be016b0e67.png

Also my lack of knowledge means I do not know what other benefits it may give me,regarding quality of the raw images (reduced noise etc) hence was hoping for some guidance.

So far from the info received it is looking like maybe it is not a consideration unless I look at replacing my FW if a bolt on 36mm one becomes available and even then maybe all the extra weight is going to cause issues with my stock focusser.

Steve