Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Motor driven mounts and SLR connections

Hello :wave:

I am just starting to do some research into buying my first telescope and I wondered if I could ask your advice on 2 point.

The first is about hoe useful motor driven mounts are?

The second is how good SLR connections are?

I don't want to get a scope which is too big (I am a girl with small muscles :( ) but then again since I am not sure exactly what it is I want to do in astronomy yet I would like to keep as many options open as possible.. Get an all-rounder if I can.

I have been looking at the Skywatchers 130 PM and 150 P as they seem good value for money but I am worried the 150 may be to big for me to start with.

Any thoughts?

Hi Nuttystar,

Motor drives are pretty much essential if you're thinking about doing deep sky astrophotography, although you may get away with short exposures for bright objects, such as the Moon. I've no experience of using SLR's (I use a webcam on a driven mount) but there are some cracking images posted in the imaging boards. I'm sure someone will be along soon to guide you on connections etc.

Good luck with your choice.

Roy

Hi Nuttystar,

As Roy rightly points out if astrophotography is something you wish to persue with your scope a driven mount is essential to track the stars as the earth rotates, it is surprisingly fast when viewed through an eyepiece and objects race across your view if the mount is not driven somehow.

Re connecting an SLR camera this is usually achieved using a T-Ring which are freely available.

I know Roy suggests a webcam which is one method, the downside is you need a computer to capture the images directly, a DSLR can be used in standalone mode without any other accessories, a remote release cord is a usefull addition though to prevent touching the telescope whilst it is taking the picture.

Re your choice of scope try and get to a reputable shop is possible or join a club to physically see the scopes if possible.

Brendan

My personal recommendation for a first scope would be something like a good 80mm refractor.

Less fiddly, and can be used for both planetary and deep sky.

Re the SLR - do you mean a REAL SLR ie film technology or a digital SLR??? Either way you can purchase a 1.25" to T thread adaptor and a T2 > (your camera lens mounting) ie EOS for canons etc. This allows you to place the camera on the telescope focuser and image through it.

A webcam is very handy to have. You need to remove the lens and replace it with a 1.25" nosepiece; it then slips into the focuser ( like an eyepiece), great for the Moon and planets and a very good starting point. There's plenty of freeware programs to help you image with the webcam.

Great advice already but just a tiny note of caution - not all Reflector telescopes will easily allow you to achieve focus with a DSLR camera so please be sure to check with your supplier that not only does the focus tube have a suitable adapter BUT that the telescope in question categorically CAN be brought to focus with a DSLR camera. Refractors such as that recommended by Merlin66 do not suffer from this issue as a simple extension tube will allow focus to be achieved. A small refractor will also be much easier for your to carry about and set up.

Archived