Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Opinions on Shopping list

Hey Guys,

I've been compiling a list of things I'd like to get to help max out my Orion 102 Mak Cass as a grab and go setup. 

(102 mm, 1300mm FL, F 12.7, 1.25") 

List so far:

ES 68° 24mm (for lowest/mid power, wide field)

ES 68° 16mm (for mid/high power, wide field) 

ES 2x Focal extender

Baader T2 90° prism diagonal

An 8x50 Raci finder and possibly some filters such as a DGM Npb, and something for the moon etc as well

This gives me powers of 54x, 81x, 108x and 162x

Thoughts and opinions welcome. Are these overboard for a 4" scope? 

Cheers,

Gary

My old Celestron Plossl 25mm is the first eyepiece I use in each session, so your choice of 24mm should serve you well; whether it needs to be Explore Scientific (ES?) is probably just down to personal choice.  I have the 82 degrees 14mm Explore Scientific which works very well as a mid-range eyepiece.

Baader are a reputable brand, however the T2 looks geared towards attaching a camera - is this your intended purpose?  I use the William Optics 2" diagonal but you may not need the 2" aperture with a 4" Mak (I use the same diagonal with a couple of my scopes).  I would have thought a more simple 1.25" like this Willam Optics Dielectric DuraBright one should suffice just for visual use.

I'd question the RACI finder, is a 4" Mak really going to be at such odd angles that makes looking through the finder awkward?  Also 8x50 might be quite a large finder scope for a 4" Mak, could be too much for star hopping.  I might have gone for a straight-through 6x30 or red dot finder (or both, if there's room to fit them).

A simple ND filter should be enough for the moon.

Edited by jonathan

Thanks for the reply and recommendations Jonathan. I'll look into the diagonal.

Part of my idea behind the 8x50 was in the future if I get a 150/200mm newt then the finder scope can also be used on that as well. (Have a carry case with finder scope, eyepieces and filters.) The Mak has a 6x26 straight through stock, which does an ok job. I also have two pairs of binoculars (7x50 & 15x70). Which often during my sessions I'll scan with the bins, find something I want to look at, then line up the scope. But I'm finding it a little trickier on dimmer targets to go from bins to finder scope

I had also been considering a variable polarising filter.... Maybe one day I'll have one of everything hahaha

10 hours ago, Powdergnome86 said:

Which often during my sessions I'll scan with the bins, find something I want to look at, then line up the scope. But I'm finding it a little trickier on dimmer targets to go from bins to finder scope

Ah, that old chestnut, I think we've all been there.  A decent red dot finder can help, I think, as you'll be able to get to the general area much easier than with a magnified finder, and if everything is properly aligned (finders) then it should already be in the magnified finder somewhere.  There are some finders that use sticky pads to attach to the scope, usually the adjustments are then made from the finder's own mounting platform for precise alignment.  While I think a Telrad might be somewhat large for a 4" Mak, there may be other options or a DIY solution to add a red dot finder.

Edited by jonathan

I would second the recommendation for the Orion 6x30 RACI - another nice feature is it has two adjustment screws and a spring -I find it's a lot quicker to align than the traditional design that uses three adjustment screws.

41 minutes ago, Peter_D said:

I would second the recommendation for the Orion 6x30 RACI - another nice feature is it has two adjustment screws and a spring -I find it's a lot quicker to align than the traditional design that uses three adjustment screws.

Actually the skywatcher 6x30 RACI has 2 screws/one spring as well . I am  sure of this because I bought one a couple of months ago, and keep twiddling the spring cover in the dark ,forgetting that only 2/3of the protrusions affect the aim !

The RACI gets swapped between my 127 mak and 150 heritage dob, but having it on the mak takes up the single available shoe ( I don't want to get a multi adapter, they are a too big and cumbersome for the little mak) . I feel the need for a RDF type device on there as well though, so have bought a Rigel Quickfinder, which is roughly as tall as the RACI, but has a small footprint (I posted the exact measurements on a thread about binocular finders not long ago) and two bases come with the Rigel, to suit different tube diameters, you fix them with the very strong sticky foam pads included in the package. The rigel unclips from the base so can be shifted between 'scopes. I went for the rigel over the telrad (which is a more popularly acclaimed finder and also has an adhesive fitting option) because the telrad is so long , check it's dimensions, it may be longer than your tube !

Heather

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions guys. 

I like the idea of the Rigel, shall look into that. Especially with the size difference between it and the telrad. 

Being in Australia, Skywatcher stuff is a little easier to get. But some Orion stuff is available. I'll keep researching away 😊

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Peter_D said:

Thanks for the clarification Heather, I didn't realise they are the same design in this regard..probably easier for the OP to get the Skywatcher version than the Orion one.

Apart from a small label on the box, there is no branding at all at all on the skywatcher RACI I bought, it came from a reputable shop, so I an confident it is a genuine skywatcher item though. They probably all come from the same factory in China , whatever label  they are sold under !

Heather

Synta make and own the Skywatcher brand. Also Celestron now. Also make stuff for Orion (USA) and occasionally Vixen. Also Konus,  some Meade, Danubia, and others as well.

Much of the stuff we use comes out of just a few manufacturers in the far east.

Edited by John

10 minutes ago, Powdergnome86 said:

Where would you make your first upgrade, Eyepieces?

Yes. A good set of eyepieces will last you a lifetime, and beyond. When the astronomy bug bites, and it will, these can be used with your next optical tube, and the one after that - see my signature, I'm hooked.

A 32mm Plossl will give you the most cost-effective wide-field view with a Mak-Cass optical tube. It's a good starting point to centre on an object. After that, there are many choices to increase the magnification; unfortunately, the best ones are expensive. Have a look at some of the pinned posts on this site to get further guidance.

Geoff