NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which Alt Az Mount?

Background

So a few years ago I traded some equipment for a setup more geared towards astrophotography. I ended up with a Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro Mount & Tripod (with Synscan) along with a Skywatcher Evostar 120 ED DS Pro telescope. In the time I've had it, I've gone through a fair bit - several house moves, two major surgeries etc and I've just not had the time (and for quite some time the health) to really get out there and use the kit, and in some cases lift them damn things without giving myself a hernia. I've never really bothered getting the computerised mount setup and just used it by releasing the clutches and visually observing and I've come to realise that I prefer the manual grab and go style astronomy I was doing when I was younger.

The Scope

So I want to return to a simpler grab and go setup and I prefer an Alt-Az mount for that if I'm honest. I don't mind keeping the Evostar as it's a lovely scope but I feel it'll be better used by someone for astrophotography rather than basc visual observing so I'm leaning towards a classical cassegrain or an RC or something that gives me some focal length but not at the expense of quite a long scope (probably 6" to 8" diameter) - so we're probably talking about scopes in the range of 4kg to 8kg or something like that? (Would that be a fair assumption?). I quite like the look of a StellaLyra 6" F12.

The Mount

I'm also not interested in computerised setups, but I wouldn't rule out motorised mounts in the future. Space is also an issue and also weight. So given that, what would you get in terms of a fairly well made and heavy duty Alt-Az Mount? I've looked around and I've seen the following:

• Skywatcher AZ5 - the basic all rounger, single telescope setup, would probably do the job in all fairness but I could probably afford something a bit nicer.
  • Sky Tee 2 - seems to be a good all rounder for the money, probably not the best engineered but seems to last, two telescope setup.
  • RVO (Rother Valley) Heavy Duty AZ Mount - single telescope setup, can't find any reviews for this but it looks well made but maybe not tried and tested?
  • Berlebach Castor Alt Az Mount - looks well made, has good reviews, two telescope setup, would need some extras like plates and counter balance bar as well.
  • GR Ercole (or mini?) - again good reviews, well made, two telescope setup, would need some extras like the above, also probably the most expensive.

I don't know if there are any other alternatives that I've not come across that are highly recommended? Or any of the above you would steer clear of? I know there's some mounts like the Losmandy one but its a bit out of my price range.

• Like 1

The Classical Cassegrain is better suited to visual and planetary photography than the RC. The StellaLyra CC6” is about 7kg with diagonal and finder. Scope is quite back heavy though which may be a problem on some smaller alt-az mounts. You might need to use a weight fitted to the front of the dovetail bar to balance it.

The SkyTee II would handle it easily and not that expensive and has the slow motion controls and can handle a back heavy scope OK.

I use mine on a Manfrotto 405 geared head but that is a lot more expensive than a Skytee mount.

B8984975-17BA-4AB5-85C2-1C6AA248710E.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

The Sky tee 2 would get my vote. If you go for that, make sure to replace the stock saddle with a better quality aftermarket one (e.g. ADM dual saddle).

I used to have a Altair Sabre v2. While it was solid, smooth and lightweight, the lack of slow-mo control was a big let down for me. Some users claim they can track objects easily without the slow-mo knobs, but for me I would either overshoot or introduce unnecessary vibration especially at high magnifications. The Berlebach Castor and Giro Ercole are both in this category.

If you have the budget for a premium quality manual alt-az mount, take a look at Losmandy AZ8 or Rowan AZ100. Both can be equipped with optional encoder + DSC to help locating targets.

• Like 1

The Rowan AZ100. is a beautifully engineered work of art but not cheap but then you do indeed get what you pay for. GOTO upgrade that can be fitted to any AZ100 coming soon.

I use an AZ100 with my 8” Classical Cassegrain.

185A4C27-F328-44BB-B9DF-3E6FA983CEA9.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Okay, so it sounds like something fairly heavy duty will be needed if I go for the StellaLyra CC 6" and I agree with the above, I find slow motion controls are really handy and I forgot to mention that.

So it sounds like I'd be looking at one of the below options, in ascending price.

SkyTee 2, Rowan AZ100, Losmandy AZ8.

Given the price savings I'd be leaning towards the SkyTee 2 I suppose, and I could then put the savings towards other bits and bobs.

• Like 1

The Losmandy AZ8 is actually a much cheaper and lighter duty mount than the AZ100. The AZ100 is better made and can carry a lot more weight but you need to buy the saddles seperately as well as the counterweight setup and no tripod is included so the price adds up.

The Skytee isn’t a very sophisticated mount but the most important thing is that it works well and is a great buy.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Ah okay, it does looks incredibly well made but I didn't realise the saddles were extra, so that will come to a lot more than I wanted to spend. It also seems to be pretty heavy.

I'm thinking the SkyTee 2 might be the best value for money given what I want to do which is a basic grab and go setup with maybe a 6" CC. Now just to find some stock.

Edited by tompato
  • Like 1

The Skytee sounds like your best choice.

Telescope Express does a version of the Skytee called the AZ5 ( nothing to do with the SW AZ5)). They have stock of the mount only arriving in about a week.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4539_TS-Optics-AZ5-Alt-azimuthal-Mount-with-fine-adjustment-in-both-axes.html

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

I use a Skytee II and a Giro Ercole for my 100mm - 120mm refractors. My 130mm refractor needs something more stable again to get the best from it. I managed to get a T-Rex for that which has a similar capacity to the Rowan AZ100 but is out of production now.

The Ercole and the Skytee II are around the same capability but the Ercole is a better made and finished product. The Skytee II has slow motion controls though which can be very useful.

Difficult to knock the capability of the Skytee II for what it costs. The dovetail clamps do need to be upgraded though which should be factored into the price.

• Like 1

These dovetail saddles work great on the Skytee and not expensive.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Enhanced-Vixen-Dovetail-Clamp-with-2-Brass-Screws-for-Photography-Astronomy/203006357794?hash=item2f441f3122:g:TFYAAOSwlcZZiYc9

Used them when I had a Skytee.

0F3ADC25-FDA3-48BB-9ADA-11E0BF7C1010.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Just spotted this thread... another option worth considering is the ScopeTech Zero Mount... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth-astronomy-mounts/scopetech-mount-zero.html

I use this as my primary “grab and go” mount and it works very well with my StellaMira 80mm ED f/10, Celestron C5  and Skywatcher Mak 127.

More information here:

I’ve also had the SkyTee II, and it’s a very solid mount 👍

Gary

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1