NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best £100 (approx) eyepiece

I have just purchased my first telescope, a Skywatcher 200P. I have trawled this site and others to get as much information as possible and I know that many would advise against it until I have spent some time on the learning curve but I want to replace the basic eyepieces that came with the scope. I know, given all the variables involved, that my question is impossible to answer with any precision but I’ll pose it anyway. I have no specific requirement, like many first-timers, other than viewing the moon planets and stars in a general sense. I know that there is no such thing as a multi-purpose eyepiece just as there is such thing as a multi-purpose  fishing rod but I am assuming that quality eyepieces will enhance the viewing experience. So, with a budget of around £200, which 2 lenses in terms of manufacturer and specification would experienced astronomers suggest I plump for? I have also got a basic £25 Barlow so with the higher spec. eyepieces would it be worth upgrading this as well? I am also conscious that as my scope is a prime beginner’s one,  I don’t want to waste money on an eyepiece that the scope is too limited to exploit.Aany advice would be most welcome.

Pseonally I think the the best pure optical quality eyepieces that can be purchased for £100 or less would be Baader Classic Orthoscopics in the 18mm and 10mm focal lengths. These are actually £50 apiece.

They don't have long eye relief (orthos don't) and their field of view is limited (like other orthos and plossls) to 45-50 degrees but in terms of pure optical performance I think you would need to spend a lot more than £100 to beat them.

If you want a wider field of view and / or longer eye relief (eg: if you wear glasses when observing) then other options will be preferable such as the BST Starguider range or the Vixen SLV range. 

Are you looking to replace the focal lengths of the stock eyepieces that came with the scope or add new focal lengths ?

Another option would be the Baader 8-24mm zoom. It's not perfect and you would probably want to invest in couple of other eyepieces to compliment it at low power (the zoom field of view is quite narrow at the 24mm end) and for high powers, say, a 6mm. The Baader zoom covers the middle ranges of observing magnifications pretty well and is a comfortable eyepiece to use with pretty good optical performance.

Now prepare yourself for a host of other good suggestions as well :smiley:

• Like 2

Hi David,

Whatever eyepieces you settle on, and especially this time of year, I’d strongly recommend looking out for them second hand.

This approach has served me very well and I’d think there will be a few available in the new year.

You’ll get nearly twice as much for your money and if you ever want to upgrade further you’ll sell them on for what you paid in the first place. Also if the eyepiece does not suit the scope you’ll loose nothing but a bit of time moving it on.

Check out the classifieds here on Stargazers Lounge and also AstroBuy and Sell. eBay as well but for me auctions can be frustrating.

Occasionally there are bargains to be had on Gumtree as well but not so often.

Steve

BST Starguider would get my vote. With £200 you can get 4 of them to fill the entire focal range. For eyepieces that are just above £100, ES68 would be my choice.

The SW 200P dob is often recommended as a beginner scope. But it is by no means a low-end model that would soon reach its limit. In fact it can be the scope for life for many users.

14 hours ago, David Burgess said:

I am also conscious that as my scope is a prime beginner’s one,  I don’t want to waste money on an eyepiece that the scope is too limited to exploit

You have bought a very good telescope. There is no eyepiece that is "too good" to use with it. The advice already given with regards to eyepiece options is good, but be aware that there are two "200p" telescopes; the f5 Explorer 200p and the f6 Skyliner 200p which will affect the magnification and exit pupils given when used with a particular eyepiece.

I started by purchasing a low power 2" eyepiece, a zoom and a 2x barlow. That had my needs covered for a while and I didn't feel the urge to add anything else until I figured out what my preferences are.

I would recommend something in the 30mm+ range, like PanaView or Aero ED and Hyperflex 7.2-21.5mm zoom. I would also highly recommend getting a red dot (or Rigel/Telrad) + RACI finder. Makes starhopping much more comfortable. 

• Like 1