Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

UK sources for Imaging Equipment Adapters

One of the most frustrating aspects of taking up amateur Astrophotography is the ever growing size of my adapter collection which is necessary to construct and rebuild imaging systems within the backspace constraint of the hardware for a given target.

Only yesterday I stopped an order for an M68x1 female to M54x0.75 male adapter at the point of purchase. While the €75 cost was a bitter pill, the €45 international postage for such a small item was beyond believe. With a total cost of €120 I backed out. You might expect the item to be coming from New Zealand but no, just Germany.

At the same time I am seeking a couple of M54x0.75 male to M54x0.75 male adapters for my other system upgrade to include a rotator. So far I have purchased the last adapter on Aliexpress and have found a limited source in the USA, who won’t support international post.

At times I question why I am bothering and wouldn’t it be easier to book online slots with a remote site. That said, for me it is as much the mental and engineering aspects of this hobby that I love. Online imaging is not for me and I am sure there are many others who defy logic and build expensive imaging systems in the UK where one can expect at most, a couple of dozen quality imaging nights a year.

These recent experiences raise a few questions I believe are worth some discussion among fellow imagers.

Should manufacturers of key imaging equipment be expected to provide more adapters with their core products; reducers/flattener, rotator, filter-wheel and cameras?

Why am I unable to find a U.K. source for many of these relatively standard adapters?

There is an option for custom made adapters From Precise Parts in the USA, but import taxes make this choice prohibitive for many. Why isn’t there a U.K. equivalent service, likely not cheap but affordable?

I am sure there are many who have purchased their new pride and joy equipment, only to find there is a lengthy delay with using it while seeking elusive adapters, any thoughts?

I agree its a shame these are not manufactured locally, but I guess it's a small market.

Telescope Express have realtively reasonable postage charges from Germany to UK (16 euro) and do have an M68 f to M54 m adapter

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7254_TS-Optics-M68-System---adapter-from-M68x1-to-M54.html

If you buy some other stuff as well the postal cost is not too bad.

45 minutes ago, Oldfort said:

I agree its a shame these are not manufactured locally, but I guess it's a small market.

Telescope Express have realtively reasonable postage charges from Germany to UK (16 euro) and do have an M68 f to M54 m adapter

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7254_TS-Optics-M68-System---adapter-from-M68x1-to-M54.html

If you buy some other stuff as well the postal cost is not too bad.

The postage is good, the adapter itself it €75 😮😮😮

Thanks Oldfort, I found the TS adapter but there is a long lead time for availability. Given the prices that are charged for these adapters I wonder if it is a small market, I guess only the U.K. suppliers could answer that question.

Edited by Xsubmariner
Update

I recently had to do something similar for a M54 to M48 rotator - they are made and available overseas but by the time they are posted here the price is ugly and the delay is too. In the end I settled for making a M48-t2 rotator  - its a t2 adaptor with a M48 front thread and a t2 rear. Something I really thought I'd be able to get hold of. I'm lucky enough to be able to make my own but there needs to be a  place to get this sort of kit.