NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Height of the Sun in UK.

15 hours ago, Louis D said:

I've been in 110F humid heat in St. Louis and 118F dry heat in Phoenix.  I'll take the dry heat any day.  If you drink lots of water, the dry heat is tolerable.  There's just no way to stay cool in humid heat that high.  I was starting to suffer heat exhaustion until I retreated to air conditioning that day.  That despite drinking 1.5 liters of water in 2 hours.

My favorite vulture cartoon is the following Far Side:

spacer.png

Fantastic! I grew up reading a lot of Larson sketches.

My username comes from a Larson sketch in fact:

86c07758d9f84108fdebd9a9ee8f6608.jpg

Edited by Mr Thingy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was obliged to visit my friends in Arizona in the summer, as I was teaching at the time and couldn't take a month's holiday any time but August .  When we got pulled over for speeding* the cop inspected my passport and said ... Why on earth would you come here at this time of year ?

The year before, my friends who are originally from Yorkshire UK had actually , literally,  fried an egg on the pavement ... Not quite that hot when I was there, but opening the house door or the car door to the outside was exactly like opening an oven door. Except it was  ... a dry  heat 😀

* Ahem,"Honest officer , the rental car speedometer sticks ..."  I got let off because as they spoke to me, the cop's radio squawked a request from an officer in trouble with a bar punch-op , so my cop was in a hurry to get there to help.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

I was obliged to visit my friends in Arizona in the summer, as I was teaching at the time and couldn't take a month's holiday any time but August .  When we got pulled over for speeding* the cop inspected my passport and said ... Why on earth would you come here at this time of year ?

The year before, my friends who are originally from Yorkshire UK had actually , literally,  fried an egg on the pavement ... Not quite that hot when I was there, but opening the house door or the car door to the outside was exactly like opening an oven door. Except it was  ... a dry  heat 😀

* Ahem,"Honest officer , the rental car speedometer sticks ..."  I got let off because as they spoke to me, the cop's radio squawked a request from an officer in trouble with a bar punch-op , so my cop was in a hurry to get there to help.

My wife and I have only been to Phoenix twice, both times in March, and it was hot even then, a dry heat as you say, which is a lot more bearable than with high humidity. One of my lasting memories is going into the dessert at night and seeing more stars than I have ever seen before! I Also remember taking a torch so we could avoid tarantulas because they come out at night to hunt. Ugh!

Edited by Moonshed
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Louis D said:

110F=43C, which we hit many summers here in Texas, and 118F=48C, which is fairly common in Phoenix.  Imagine spending 90 days at or above 38C with high humidity.  Basically, mid-June through mid-September is spent entirely indoors in the A/C here.  Phoenix spent 144 days above 100F=43C this past summer, which was a new record for them.  Of course, it's a dry heat there. 😉

I should make way for the king lol .

• Haha 1