Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HELP - DSS with data from multiple nights/filter

Without suggesting it's a good idea, I'm trying to combine data from a OSC camera taken with two different filters - one is a dual band filter, the other a full(er) spectrum LP filter. To do so in startools requires them both to be aligned already and in theory, I can use DSS to do this.

Camera resolution is 5184 x 3456. I dither so obviously the usable area is less.

The process I have gone through is:

- Stack the full spectrum data as normal in DSS in intersection mode. I get a file that is

image.png.81cdaf11f67e61c3d71196c41bf8e4a1.png

and leads to a perfectly decent result after processing.

- Stack the dual band lights with the above file set as a reference frame, but unchecked 

image.thumb.png.2dc6a17824be4e6acbee45489ba98ae8.png

in standard stacking mode. The offsets to the other files look good.

image.png.99dd953a9b43636c3afd372f4bd380f0.png

However, the resultant file is full size.

image.png.9ece0a2b0f1330bcd17c059efe18cd6f.png

Is there something else I've missed?

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Why did you mix stacking mode?

Have a look at the startools recommended DSS settings to ensure you are getting the best from your data

Thanks for the advice!

I must be fundamentally misunderstanding. The first one I just went with intersection so I didn't have to crop borders. 

At least based on what DSS is saying, should the second step work? If not, what have I misunderstood? 

52 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

Either use Standard for both or just crop the edges.

StarTools, so lose the rgb align.

HTH.

Thanks - literally every time I reset the settings to the startools recommended, I change something when messing around.

When you say crop the edges, how would I know how to do that? Don't I need exact pixel alignment? Apologies if that's a dumb question!

Don't worry about cropping at this stage, focus in DSS on creating two stacks that are the same stacked dimension. User standard mode to stack to get data.

When in startools either load a single stack or use the compose module and build your image, then do autodev to see the warts and go to Crop module and now crop the edges off.

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Don't worry about cropping at this stage, focus in DSS on creating two stacks that are the same stacked dimension. User standard mode to stack to get data.

When in startools either load a single stack or use the compose module and build your image, then do autodev to see the warts and go to Crop module and now crop the edges off.

Thanks all - stacking both in standard mode worked.

Not quite the result I was hoping for, but I'll play around with various approaches tomorrow! I

quick_process_lum-ldas-r-dual-g-ldas-b-ldas.thumb.jpg.4aad6680459f52fb4b9459fecd86bd21.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, rnobleeddy said:

crop the edges, how would I know how to do that?

In StarTools 'Crop'.

Lovely shot. Loadsa detail.

You may have lost a bit of data. Use AutoDev - Bin - Crop - Wipe - AutoDev with a good slice of background for the latter. Otherwise could begin losing faint detail. After 'Colour', try Entropy on Ha; there are some nice red bits in m33. The new Super-Structure module will then put the icing on the galaxy for you.

Cheers and HTH

Edited by alacant

I know that "just use the tools that I favor" is not the help you asked for!  But really, you should know that Astro Pixel Processor really shines at integrating data from multiple sessions/multiple filters, and at composing rotated, offset, and mosaic images. There's a 30-day free trial, and it works on Windows. Its limit ease-of-use case is "load up all your lights and calibration frames, then click one button". Usually the multiple-filter thing is used to produce separate integrations for each channel which you combine later, but you could lump 'em all in too.