NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Beginners Telescope, but not entry level.

Hi, I am looking for recommends, I am absolute beginner so looking for easy to use telescope. However I have read that entry level telescopes can be a bit disappointing so would like to find something that shows as greater magnification as possible. My budget is around 300 GBP so would appreciate any guidance?

15 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

At that price the 200mm Dobsonian fits exactly. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

It has enough aperture to keep you satisfied for years. It will show plenty of planetary detail and is decent on deep sky too (with dark skies).

If I'd enough room to store it, that's what I would have bought.

I did a lot of research , and it was a clear winner for everything I wanted, but I had to be practical and go for the smaller , collapsible Heritage 150. But that left me some cash for better eyepieces etc.

19 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

At that price the 200mm Dobsonian fits exactly. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

It has enough aperture to keep you satisfied for years. It will show plenty of planetary detail and is decent on deep sky too (with dark skies).

Thanks for advice now to find somewhere has them in stock

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, SimonPieman said:

Thanks for the advice but finding one of these is proving very difficult are there any easier to source alternatives?

S

I agree with the Skywatcher 200P, I wouldn’t part with mine. They do come up fairly often on the well known auction site and if they are near enough to check over then you would be ok. Good luck.

I can also recommend the 200P. I would put your order in and asked to be kept informed if there are any returns etc. With the weather we are currently having you may not be missing much and you can use the time to be downloading applications, planning targets, reading the forums and looking at star maps.