NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

m81

alacant

Hi everyone

Another example of what to target at full moon. I suppose the narrower field of view and the further away from said satellite the better.

We began capture from around 00:30 at just 30º above the horizon. Strange to see the telescope in much the same position at dawn. I suppose that this close to the pole, there's little movement.

The EKOS scheduler looked after proceedings until just before sunrise. It managed over 70 frames all, apart from some of the first few, usable. The gradient was strongest entering from the top and required one of Siril's big hammers to remove.

Anyway, I don't think it's officially galaxy season just yet, so here's hoping we're not chased off by the gamekeeper.

Comments on how to tame the cigar would be great. Thanks for looking.

700d on gso N203

838086375_2-81(1).thumb.jpg.f3e7a20035a094f8118ea49359c3b71a.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 11

15 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

full moon

Hi

Yeah, well, Thursday, so about 99%? Bright; no torch needed find usb sockets or the focusing mask when you drop it...

I'm not a fan of filters and in this case, I don't think there's one which would block sunlight -albeit reflected- and allow you to image galaxies. Or maybe there is?

The accepted norm at full moon seems be leave your telescope in its box, or use expensive narrow pass filters. But rules are there to be...

Have a go anyway!

Cheers

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1