Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Paragon Plus adaptor

gadusmorhua

I've ordered a Paragon Plus binocular mount, but couldn't bring myself to pay £32 for the aluminium plate No. 5379 needed to attach my Helios Stellar II. Can anyone give me (accurate) sizes and hole centres so I can make a plate before the mount is delivered?

I'm used to outrageous prices for small accessories as I've been into photography for years, but Orion are really being greedy here, I feel. Ten quid would still have given them a huge profit margin, but all they have achieved is for me to avoid them in future.

The mount looks like it has an angle bracket (which will have a 1/4-20 thread for hinge connections to smaller binoculars. Are your binoculars larger and so need a flat plate connection... which will still be a 1/4-20 thread. Links to photos of the parts you have or don’t want to buy would help. I had some 25x100 once and remember needing a small pillar to make tripod mounting easier.

PEter

Yes, as I said, I need the flat plate, which is part no. 5379. Linking to photos of it won't help me  really, I know what it is and  what it looks like, but need to know the diameter of the twin holes, and the centres of all three. Whether I make it out of ali or steel matters not. Thanks, but I was assuming there must be lots of people who think £33 for such a basic plate is ridiculous, and made their own. I could of course just wait until the Paragon plus arrives, and make one to fit, but knowing my luck it will arrive on the only clear night of the month!

Edited by gadusmorhua
verbosity

assume you mean this part?

Orion 7589 Binocular Mount Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

The 2-hole spacing you'd be able to measure up from the parallelogram mount, the other you'd need to source a 1/4-20 screw and give it sufficient clearance from the mount to be able to tighten it up so that'll depend on what 1/4 thumbscrew you can source.

3 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

assume you mean this part?

Orion 7589 Binocular Mount Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

The 2-hole spacing you'd be able to measure up from the parallelogram mount, the other you'd need to source a 1/4-20 screw and give it sufficient clearance from the mount to be able to tighten it up so that'll depend on what 1/4 thumbscrew you can source.

I have 6mm aluminium bar,and quite a few 1/4 UNC screws, with and without knurled knobs in my camera kit. If you look closely at the image the plate also requires tapping for the camera screw, which is no problem, I have a workshop on the farm.. All I wanted was the centres of the two fixing screws so I could make the plate in advance of taking delivery of the p-mount. 

Does anyone have this information?

I don't have the details you are looking for but perhaps a cheeseplate could be used instead. I have this one from Amazon: SMALLRIG Cheese Plate with 1/4 and 3/8 Threads for DSLR Camera Rig - 1598  

Something else you might like to consider - I have an Orion Monster P-mount and have added a Neewer Panoramic Tripod Head 360 Degree Bottom Rotation Aluminum Alloy Pan Head with Panorama Scale QR Plate Bubble Level for Tripod Monopod Slider DSLR Cameras Max Load Up to 22 LBS

This gives me even more lateral movement and makes it really easy to mount and remove my binoculars as well. Best of luck.