NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

10x50s

wookie1965

I did a silly thing bought a pair of Bresser binoculars off ebay (10x50) they were out of collimation. I sent them away to be collimated they came back but the view is terrible not sharp at all. 

To my question and help a friend has got a pair of Jessops 10x50 roof prism binoculars he said I can have as he doesn't get on with them something about the narrow eye width, I already have a pair of 10x42 revelation roof prism ones so I understand the narrow eye width can anyone tell me if these Jessops are any good please I've looked for a review but nothing is popping up. 

Thank you 

Paul 

Jessops are generally mediocre tbh, will just be a badged china made bino. Perhaps worth trying them and see how they perform for you and decide, since it's a friend offering them. Otherwise, consider a known brand like the Olympus DPS or similar if you're after porro's.

• Like 1

Check them out... Sometimes you can get lucky.  Most of the time those unbranded bins are terrible under night skies... A combination of poor lenses and prisms might leave you disappointed....  A friend gave me a pair of Tasco zip bins which I thought was nice... But when compared to the Olympus DPS the difference was quite unbelievable (and the Olympus are only about £50) 

• Like 2

Nikon Aculon get regular positive comments on forums. At the cheap ems it’s worth personally checking as there is a wide variety of rebadged stuff so it’s hard to know who makes what’s and find enough reviews to know what’s any good 

Peter

Is your friend offering to give the Jessops binoculars to you or to sell them? If they are being given away, then you might as well try them and then continue using whichever is the better binocular. If they are for sale then I probably wouldn't bother if it was me. A cheap roof prism is never going to be great, but perhaps your friend would let you borrow them to compare to your current binoculars. In any case I would use the Bresser and/or Jessops binoculars as a test to determine whether you like the size/weight and magnification/field of view that a 10x50 binocular gives you. If you find that you do like the characteristics of a 10x50, then you should decide how much you are willing to spend on a pair and see which binocular is suggested for that price in the following list:

https://binocularsky.com/binoc_choosing.php

That is the plan that I am currently using myself. I've got some (relatively) cheap 10x50s that over the next few months I will use to asses whether, on those nights where there isn't time to get a scope out, whether I find myself picking up the 10x50s, or whether I only ever find myself taking out the 16x70s. If it is a success then I will invest in a decent pair of 10x50s that I expect to keep for the rest of my life. If it doesn't work out then I can sell the cheap 10x50s without losing too much, but either scenario is better than buying cheap binocular after cheap binocular in pursuit of incremental gains, only to look back at some point in the future to realise that I've got hundreds of pounds invested in a journey that has resulted in still only owning a mediocre instrument. 

• Like 1

Friend gave them to me and to be honest they have surprised me. 

Lightweight and quite a sharp image only used them on Mars and the moon between clouds I was hoping see Jupiter and Saturn but not sure whether I can with houses in the way. 

• Like 2

Well they are better than I thought just one problem how to get them on a tripod they don't have a screw slot at the front I took the little plastic circle off but there is no screw thread there if anyone has any ideas please let me know. 

Cheer`s for that although it looks like I am going have to buy new when I first looked through they where fine about a hour ago wanted look at Jupiter and Saturn and I have two images so looks like prism is loose or something.

Paul

• Sad 1

I've just sent off for a pair of olympus dps ones £63 with postage at least now should get a pair of decent 10x50s after the second hand pair where not great and the freebies out of collimation I have adjusted them so just waiting star test them I doubt I have got them dead on. 

• Like 3