Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3 Astro tech advances that benefit you the most

Moonshed

We have come a long way in the last few decades, technology has transformed the way we view and image the night sky. Sometimes though when I am watching yet another YouTube tutorial on how to use this or that software and taking copious notes I wonder if it’s all worth it. However, when I look at the image of the The Whirpool Galaxy I have just taken I have no doubts at all. But there are times when sitting out in the frosty garden at 2am and trying to get everything to work as it should I again wonder if it’s all worth the effort.

The 3 technology advances that have benefited me the most:

1) The laptop/tablet

2) The GOTO mount

3) PoleMaster

An Honorable Mention goes to APT,a good old workhorse!

Edited by Moonshed

@Moonshed whilst I agree with the first 2, I can't comment on 3 as I use Sharpcap for my polar alignment, it's a lot cheaper as it uses the guidescope/camera, and works very well, I also use it for planetary imaging (not very successfully). I also use APT for my DSO imaging, I just love the way it works and controls all my equipment via Ascom. The Goto++ application works perfectly once you have all the correct settings and platesolving software configured. I did struggle with autofocussing to start with but after a few pointers on it's forum I soon had it working.

I would also like to add to number 1 if I may, an additional laptop/PC with RDC/Teamviewer, so once all setup I can sit inside in the warm and keep an eye on it remotely 😀

• Like 1

Software - hats off to the smart IT people that develop and then make it available. Within software it’s got to platesolving, hands down still the most exciting part of imaging, it never fails to impress me, and I couldn’t image consistently without it.

• Like 2

+1 for software, has to be number 1, platesolving makes you wonder how we ever managed without it and to think its all done in seconds bringing an unparalleled level of accuracy to framing a target, then there's the image processing software and of course we need something to run all this software on so a laptop makes it to joint number 1 for me

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, dark knight said:

+1 for software, has to be number 1, platesolving makes you wonder how we ever managed without it and to think its all done in seconds bringing an unparalleled level of accuracy to framing a target, then there's the image processing software and of course we need something to run all this software on so a laptop makes it to joint number 1 for me

I think software could be in a category all of it’s own as we depend on so many different programs. For example I use all of the following, in no particular order: 1) FireCapture   2) Autostakkert   3)Registax   4) Sharpcap   5) APT   6) Deep Sky Stacker   7) Polemaster    Photoshop  9) Stellarium   10) European Weather Satellite   11)Clear Skies Outside   12) and last but by no means least SGL! 

Edited by Moonshed