NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Have a chance to buy an EQM-35...

And I'm teetering on the brink of saying yes, but I'm not quite sure of my decision. So, for the umpteenth time, I have chosen to come and harass you lovely people on SGL. 

This EQM-35 looks flawless in photos, no visible dings or scratches, and seller states its in full working order with no defects at all. I have seen a video of it slewing which seems fine. The asking price is £400, and it includes a Lynx cable to connect the SynScan handset to a laptop. 

However, I don't actually have a clue what I am looking at. I've never used an EQ mount before, yet alone a GoTo, and I'm panicky because of that. I'm so scared of spending money I can't really afford to lose. 

Given a choice I'd go for an Az-EQ5 or a HEQ5 pro, but a combination of lack of availability and lack of funds means I am unable to get what I really want at the moment. I'm being told different things by different retailers as to when stock will return and estimated dates keep changing. I'm also drawn in by the way you can apparently use the EQM-35 as a glorified Star Adventurer.

Just for extra info: I currently have my one decent scope, a 102 OTA (with 60mm finder) on an AZ4 with an aluminium tripod, which was a real bargain and suits me so well for grab and go observing, but by heck is it shaky. My current setup weighs around 5.5kg, including main tube, finder, diagonal and zoom eyepiece so well within the 10kg visual limit for the EQM-35, and I daresay if I was to trade out eyepieces and diagonals for a camera I'd still be just about within the limits for my first forays into the world of imaging. 

So...to cut my rambling short...what do you guys reckon? Decent deal? Something to steer clear of? 

If you could do a visual inspection of the mount and ask the seller to show you that it can slew/track smoothly and there is no strange noise from the motor, that price wouldn't be bad. 

Typically a 102mm ED doublet weighs between 4 and 5kg, if you add a DSLR, a reducer/flattener, t-ring, extension tubes and a guidescope/cam setup. The total weight is going to be about 7kg which is just at the limit of the EQM35 for imaging. Ideally you would want the HEQ5 for imaging with a 4" frac.

2 hours ago, KP82 said:

If you could do a visual inspection of the mount and ask the seller to show you that it can slew/track smoothly and there is no strange noise from the motor, that price wouldn't be bad. 

Typically a 102mm ED doublet weighs between 4 and 5kg, if you add a DSLR, a reducer/flattener, t-ring, extension tubes and a guidescope/cam setup. The total weight is going to be about 7kg which is just at the limit of the EQM35 for imaging. Ideally you would want the HEQ5 for imaging with a 4" frac.

In an ideal world, I know I would get at least a HEQ5 (friend has an Az-EQ5, which he rates highly). But since various stores are telling me different things about when they'll be available again, anything from maybe December to maybe February (and this has been going on since early September, when I got told maybe October/maybe November), I'm kind of stuck with this AZ4 on a vibrating aluminium tripod, with pretty poor viewing and no chance of actually beginning my imaging journey. Its not the retailers' fault, but it is frustrating me no end. I've seen a couple of adverts for second hand mounts, but they have either gone before I've seen them or had flaws like rust and as a total newbie to this its scary trying to weigh up how much of a problem things like that are.

Sorry for the little rant, its just, people keep telling me to go for the HEQ5, I know itw the better option for me, and I would go over my budget and buy it if I knew I was actually going to get it at some point 🤣  but I'm glad it's a decent price for the EQM-35 if everything is in full working order. 

My 102 weights dead on 4 kgs, DSLR 450g, 60mm finder without camera 910g. (weighed it all myself). I haven't got any of the other equipment yet because figuring out what I need is exhausting and I don't want to rush in and buy the wrong things. My DSLR is also a pretty rubbish one from what I've heard (Nikon d3400) so I'm considering upgrading.

Why not get the EQM-35 now if it checks out at an inspection.  That should solve your current wobble issues, and provide you with an opportunity to at least get your feet wet with regards to imaging.  Then once higher rated mounts becomes available again, if you feel the need and perhaps have accumulated some more funds, you could sell the EQM-35, probably for a modest loss, and then get a better one?

• Like 1

Don’t forget that if you get the EQM-35 and use it till you are ready to upgrade to something heavier, you still have the 35 for visual use when the heavier gear is running.

I dislike the lack of Astro when we have a great night and my scope and mount is doing imaging and I am twiddling my thumbs. A second cheap OTA would be lovely.

Marvin

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Erling G-P said:

Why not get the EQM-35 now if it checks out at an inspection.  That should solve your current wobble issues, and provide you with an opportunity to at least get your feet wet with regards to imaging.  Then once higher rated mounts becomes available again, if you feel the need and perhaps have accumulated some more funds, you could sell the EQM-35, probably for a modest loss, and then get a better one?

Thanks! This is what I am going to do - it just sounds like a better option when someone else is saying it! 

18 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Don’t forget that if you get the EQM-35 and use it till you are ready to upgrade to something heavier, you still have the 35 for visual use when the heavier gear is running.

I dislike the lack of Astro when we have a great night and my scope and mount is doing imaging and I am twiddling my thumbs. A second cheap OTA would be lovely.

Marvin

This is very true! I've already been considering what to do if I get invested in imaging to the extent where my original OTA is tied up with the cam all the time. The pipe dream is having a good, big dob at home - but getting something like a little Redcat or Zenithstar for imaging is also a cracking possibility. And that coveted HEQ5/Az-EQ5. If I had another imaging OTA, I could use my original for viewing more often. This all being a very vague long term plan, ofc. 

Edited by LoveFromGallifrey