Filters and eyepieces

Hi all,

After some advice regarding eyepieces and filters. I was thinking of getting an ND filter and an OZ 9-27mm Zoom eyepiece for my scope, is this is wise investment or would it be better to buy individual eyepieces...

Cheers, eyes to the skies

D

I prefer a variable polarising filter as it can be adjusted to your exact requirements.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/astro-essentials-variable-polarising-moon-filter.html

The Hyperflex zoom is pretty good.for the money.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ovl-eyepieces/hyperflex-72mm-215mm-eyepiece.html

A zoom is a useful eyepiece to have and ideal for a beginner as it lets you experiment with different magnifications and find what suits you before investing in fixed focal length eyepieces.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

This is what I posted recently about zooms:

Fixed focal length eyepieces may be slightly better corrected when compared with a zoom at the same magnification.   But that's not always a fair comparison as that magnification may not be the optimum for a given object.  This is because one of the many advantages of a zoom is to be able to dial in precisely the best focal length.  For instance, this may be 13mm or even 13.1mm, which may actually show more detail than shorter or longer fixed focal length eyepieces.  

I'm a great fan of zooms and the 8-24mm Baader zoom is easily my most used eyepiece.  I use it with the matching 2.25x Barlow.  That plus a wide field eyepiece as a finder does me for most of my sessions.

I particularly like the ability to increase the magnification to make use of brief moments of good seeing.  It takes more time to swap out an eyepiece, and the opportunity may then be missed.  You can't see anything if you haven't got an eyepiece in the focusser!

Zooms also enable the field of view to be varied to frame an object to get the prettiest view.  For this reason I particularly like them for clusters.

Many of those who post here and advocate fixed focal lengths are experienced observers.  It's so easy to forget what it was like as a beginner!  A zoom eyepiece enables beginners to easily learn what difference a change of magnification makes on all the various classes of object.  It also shows them what focal lengths would be most useful to their eyes, their telescope, and their observing conditions.  They then have the option of buying/not buying the most appropriate fixed focal length eyepieces for them.  For these reasons I'd always recommend that beginners buy a zoom as their first eyepiece.

I have both Baader 8-24mm zooms and a Svbony 7-21mm.  The Svbony is about 4x less expensive (about £45 on eBay) than the Baader, and not that far behind in performance.  It's also very much smaller and lighter, although the 8-24mm and 10-30mm Svbony zooms are about the same as the Baader and a Hyperflex I used to have.  An additional advantage of the Baader is a wider field of view than any lower price zoom I'm aware of.

The Svbony gets excellent reviews and I can certainly recommend it.

• Like 2

I've also got a 127 Mak (which has been sat in a cupboard for about a year while we were renovating). Lockdown has finally got to me and I've decided to drag it all out from behind my tools and start spending some time out in the garden with my scope again. 

I was out on Saturday - for about 30 mins between the clouds. Currently have fixed f/l eyepieces (couple of Celestron X-cel and a 15mm Vixen SLV). Started off with the 25mm X-cel for a wee scan about, then went down to the 9mm X-cel on Mars. Views were ok, could make out some darker patches on the surface, but was struggling a bit to get focus spot on. Then I popped in my 15mm Vixen with a 2x barlow and BAM beautiful, clear, crisp view. Easy to get good focus - almost like it just pops into focus, rather than having to go forwards and backwards, sweeping through the sweet spot. Don't remember noticing this much of a difference between the X-cels and SLVs before, but certainly noticed in the other night. 

Getting back into using my scopes comes hand in hand with new toys! 

Turns out I'm also thinking about getting a Zoom eyepiece to use during quick sessions on the moon and planets. Also quite fancy trying some doubles, and like the idea of being able to zoom in and out to see the stars actually split. 

My current shopping list is: 

1) Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom - although I'm now paralyzed by indecision after seeing the much cheaper Hyperflex zoom.

2) 80A filter for use on planets 

3) Either a Baader Neutral Density Moon filter, or a Baader neodymium moon & skyglow filter (still want to spend some time doing research into which one I want though). 

When I first for my mak, the first thing I replaced was the diagonal (bought a 2nd hand one from here). Then I replaced the finder with a 6x30 RACI. Also chucked the 10mm that comes "free" with the scope and got a 9mm X-cel. 

• Like 1