Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMod randomly slewing

Phillyo

Hi guys,

So with it being a big bright moon I thought I would try and get EQMod set up on the laptop to enable me to do install and play with NINA, PHD2 etc as I'm thinking of buying a small PC to control everything in the future. However, I'm having some random issues. NINA will just disconnect from the telescope for no reason. Cartes Du Ciel will do the same. Then when I just connect the mount (HEQ5 Pro) to PHD2 via EQMod I get lots of CommErr:MSR errors as seen in the screen shots attached. I'm trying to just do a Guiding Assistant and it will just randomly slew off to a different part of the sky every couple of minutes. Completely at a loss here!! Any help would be very much appreciated.

Mount is connected to laptop via Lynx Astro EQDir cable. No hubs etc. 

Thanks.

EQmod Err 2.JPG

EQmod Err 3.JPG

EQmod Err.JPG

From what I can see, the COMM errors indicate a loss of connectivity between the computer & mount, are you driving the mount directly or via the handset ? 

But I'd still check the Lynx adaptor\cables by just plugging everything in and manually (by hand) moving the cables\sockets about and see if any comm errors are reported.... 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

From what I can see, the COMM errors indicate a loss of connectivity between the computer & mount, are you driving the mount directly or via the handset ? 

But I'd still check the Lynx adaptor\cables by just plugging everything in and manually (by hand) moving the cables\sockets about and see if any comm errors are reported.... 

No handset, it's plugged directly into the usb port. I'll have a fiddle with it next time I'm out to see if it's causing any issues. The cable and mount work perfectly well when using the ASIair Pro with no drop out so I don't think it's the cable.

If I remember correctly and your machine is Windows 10

control panel..  hardware and sound ..  power options..  edit plan settings..  change advanced power settings .. usb settings..  then disable usb selective suspend ..  if it already is then that would rule it out as an issue 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

If I remember correctly and your machine is Windows 10

control panel..  hardware and sound ..  power options..  edit plan settings..  change advanced power settings .. usb settings..  then disable usb selective suspend ..  if it already is then that would rule it out as an issue 

Just had a look and 'On battery' and 'Plugged in' were both set to 'Enabled' so I have disabled them yes?

Edited by Phillyo

Also, check that in 'Control Panel \  Device Manager \ Universal Serial Bus controllers',  right clicking on each device and selecting 'Properties' then the 'Power Management' tab, if there,  and untick the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"...

• Like 2

My HEQ5 used to do this. When I first bought it I was running it off a switched mode power supply. The mount worked fine when I controlled it through the hand controller. However when I connected it to a laptop or computer I would get these same sort of EQMod comm errors.

Pulling the SMPS out and using a 12V lead-acid battery to power the mount cured the problem 100%. Since then I have used a "linear" power supply. It's been trouble free for 6+ years.

Same computer, same power cables, same serial port cable, no software changes at all (apart from forced updates)

Edited by pete_l
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pete_l said:

My HEQ5 used to do this. When I first bought it I was running it off a switched mode power supply. The mount worked fine when I controlled it through the hand controller. However when I connected it to a laptop I would get these same sort of EQMod comm errors.

Pulling the SMPS out and using a 12V lead-acid battery cured the problem 100%. Since then I have used a "linear" power supply. It's been trouble free for 6+ years.

Same computer, same power cables, same serial port cable, no software changes at all (apart from forced pudates)

That's interesting as my mount has had the power supply changed to a screw in type one similar to the EQ6 R mount, I just don't know what cable to get because I bought that cable and it doesn't fit so I can't connect it to a battery until I figure that out.

On 28/11/2020 at 20:10, pete_l said:

The connector on an EQ6R is a fairly common GX12 2-pin connector.

Yeah but it's not quite the same size. It's a TINY bit smaller. 

Edited by Phillyo

• 4 weeks later...

So, just to revive an old thread. I'm at my wits end here! I connected everything up yesterday afternoon and it all worked fine. EQmod running through PHD2, NINA and Cartes Du Ceil. Slewing to targets in CdC for hours, taking exposures in NINA. Not a single issue. Perfect! I connect it up again today, exactly the same and instantly get comm errors again. Nothing has changed. Same laptop (i've tried 2 different laptops now), same ports, same cables, some power socket. Everything the same.

This is driving me insane!! 

So it seems to connect and slew ok with the skywatcher app so I think my laptop/installation is the issue. Everything works fine in ASIAIR so the mount and cable are obviously perfectly ok.

Edited by Phillyo