Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Right. So, this flat...

... is a master taken from 25 flats in DSS, for which I used this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N128B74/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Yep - cheap, probably not ideal, but I thought it was worth a go, just put it on the lowest setting, cover the scope, take the shots so the histogram is central (works out at around 1/80s on my DSLR).

Out of curiosity, I loaded it into StarTools and stretched it. I've attached the result.

If I zoom in, I can see lots of dots. Now, are those dots the individual LEDs from the panel, or the camera's matrix? Because if they're from the panel, I'm obviously going to have to think of a different approach, probably using paper or t-shirt to diffuse the light, or something completely different such as sky shots or laptop screen. If it's the camera's matrix then I guess that's ok. As is often the problem here, I'm doing this totally on my own with nothing to compare it with!

master flat.tif

2 minutes ago, BrendanC said:

... is a master taken from 25 flats in DSS, for which I used this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N128B74/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Yep - cheap, probably not ideal, but I thought it was worth a go, just put it on the lowest setting, cover the scope, take the shots so the histogram is central (works out at around 1/80s on my DSLR).

Out of curiosity, I loaded it into StarTools and stretched it. I've attached the result.

If I zoom in, I can see lots of dots. Now, are those dots the individual LEDs from the panel, or the camera's matrix? Because if they're from the panel, I'm obviously going to have to think of a different approach, probably using paper or t-shirt to diffuse the light, or something completely different such as sky shots or laptop screen. If it's the camera's matrix then I guess that's ok. As is often the problem here, I'm doing this totally on my own with nothing to compare it with!

master flat.tif 58.16 MB · 0 downloads

I use the same cheap panel but put an A4 piece of opaque acrylic over it just to diffuse it slightly further.  You wouldnt pick up the dots like that especially as you would be really out of the focal place, so I'd say that it is ok.  You could rotate the panel between the first and second half of the set of flats if you so wished to eliminate any gradients.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BrendanC said:

Excellent. Thank you @tooth_dr, looks like you have a fairly serious setup too, so that gives me confidence. I need confidence. :)

No problem, I bought my acrylic off here, it just finishes it off (if that makes sense) and means you dont necessarily have to use the lowest setting on the panel.

Opal Acrylic Plasticx Sheets (plasticsheets.com)

White Perspex Sheet | Colour Code 069 (plasticsheets.com)

• Thanks 1

Exactly! I've heard that apparently laminating them helps, but even that somehow seems a bit flimsy. I'm sure I could just get any old acrylic sheet, but as @tooth_dr seems to have a working solution I'd like to know which one! Also thickness, colour etc.

Edited by BrendanC

22 minutes ago, BrendanC said:

Exactly! I've heard that apparently laminating them helps, but even that somehow seems a bit flimsy. I'm sure I could just get any old acrylic sheet, but as @tooth_dr seems to have a working solution I'd like to know which one!

Sorry, I don’t how I missed your reply last night. I use a white one and a grey one (!) together to get the right timing (>3.5s) on my camera and luminance filter. I can use just the white sheet ones own with my Ha filter. I would suggest the white 3mm sheet as the opaque one is quite see through and the white diffuses better. 

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Thanks 1