Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars 22nd Nov 2020

markse68

First decent seeing in ages and managed to get out early before Mars had reached its highest elevation (is there a name for that?) Have had a good long look and hope for more if the clouds clear later- they’ve been there all evening but luckily missing Mars most of the time till now.

There was a bright patch on the left hand limb a little below the spc. SkySafari says it might be Argyre Planitum. There was a subtly lighter patch below Mare Sirenum that might be Daedalia Planum. Should have been Valles Marineris on the left hand limb but I couldn’t make out any detail- that’s where the dust storm is I think so maybe obscured by that though no obvious dust storm either. I searched but no sign of Olympus Mons. Disk not round anymore- terminator starting to creep in from the right limb

Dob view. CZJ 16mm ortho +Tal 2x barlow (200x)

Mark

B4FF8CF4-DE22-4A94-832B-E9BDF675538D.jpeg

Edited by markse68
wrong fl ep
  • Like 6

Thanks James and Jeremy. It's not the best seeing its ever been but tonight I've had the best view of Mars for what seems like ages- helps that the wind is down too which is really essential with a drainpipe dob. I have a feeling the pup might be on the cards a bit later on- Sirius looks quite well behaved already and ts still low 🤞:)

Mark